Question Ryzen 7 7800X3D will not transfer heat, it overheats at idle ?

hi2011090536

Honorable
Nov 6, 2017
Hello, I just finished building my girlfriends new PC. The ryzen processor we went with is the ryzen 7 7800x3d and I paired it with a cooler master ml240l ARGB AIO cooler. It will not cool at all. It starts at around 68 degrees Celsius and will slowly rise to high 80s and break 90 after only about 4 minutes uptime. If I leave it on it will pass 100 and turn itself off. (Only let that happen once by accident)

I have re applied thermal paste, tried a different type of paste, loosened and tightend the pump, flipped directions so the in/outlets are under the pump to help with gravity, updated bios, swapped the AIO with another one and even tried undervolting the cpu per an efficiency guide i followed on YouTube. Nothing makes a difference.

I'm in need of some guidance and hopefully someone knows what's going on. The last thing I can think of is maybe somethings not right under the cpu lid and Maybe it's not allowing the cpu to transfer hear properly? I don't know if that's how that works but the reason I saw that is because the tubes don't feel warm so I don't think the water is even heating up from it. I'm extremely stumped and would accept any assistance haha, thank you ☹️

Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Coolermaster ml240l argb
Corsair vengeance 32gb 6400mhz
Asrock b650m-hdv/m.2
Powercolor red devil 5700xt

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I just finished building my girlfriends new PC. The ryzen processor we went with is the ryzen 7 7800x3d and I paired it with a cooler master ml240l ARGB AIO cooler. It will not cool at all. It starts at around 68 degrees Celsius and will slowly rise to high 80s and break 90 after only about 4 minutes uptime. If I leave it on it will pass 100 and turn itself off. (Only let that happen once by accident) I have re applied thermal paste, tried a different type of paste, loosened and tightend the pump, flipped directions so the in/outlets are under the pump to help with gravity, updated bios, swapped the AIO with another one and even tried undervolting the cpu per an efficiency guide i followed on YouTube. Nothing makes a difference. I'm in need of some guidance and hopefully someone knows what's going on. The last thing I can think of is maybe somethings not right under the cpu lid and Maybe it's not allowing the cpu to transfer hear properly? I don't know if that's how that works but the reason I saw that is because the tubes don't feel warm so I don't think the water is even heating up from it. I'm extremely stumped and would accept any assistance haha, thank you ☹️

Ryzen 7 7800x3d
Coolermaster ml240l argb
Corsair vengeance 32gb 6400mhz
Asrock b650m-hdv/m.2
Powercolor red devil 5700xt
It is not possible that you forgot to take any packing plastic off the heat sink before attaching to the CPU is there ?
There is a big "remove label before install", but people have left the plastic film on before ...

hi2011090536

Honorable
Nov 6, 2017
It is not possible that you forgot to take any packing plastic off the heat sink before attaching to the CPU is there ?
There is a big "remove label before install", but people have left the plastic film on before ...
I've seen lots of people do that haha, I definitely made sure to remove that and the socket cover as well

hi2011090536

Honorable
Nov 6, 2017
To be clear, I don't mean the spread that you applied but the pressure pattern left by the previous installation. If when you removed the cooler the paste was undisturbed and exactly as you applied it then the cooler didn't make any contact to the paste.
Yes sorry, I had done an x spread and after taking the cooler off it was an even squish I should say instead of spread haha

Reactions: TerryLaze

hi2011090536

Honorable
Nov 6, 2017
Fan or cooling.
Dude I think you're a genius and my girlfriends favorite person of the year. Under HW monitor on the bios all the fans including CPU FAN1 SETTING were ALL set to silent. I watched it rise to 75, enabled them all to performance and BOOM the temp dropped to 50 then 45, and now it was slowly dropping half a degree till its stable at 43 degrees Celsius, idling in the bios. YOURE A LIFE SAVE THANK YOU SO MUCH, I dont know why they were preset to that but I had no clue THANK YOU

Dude I think you're a genius and my girlfriends favorite person of the year. Under HW monitor on the bios all the fans including CPU FAN1 SETTING were ALL set to silent. I watched it rise to 75, enabled them all to performance and BOOM the temp dropped to 50 then 45, and now it was slowly dropping half a degree till its stable at 43 degrees Celsius, idling in the bios. YOURE A LIFE SAVE THANK YOU SO MUCH, I dont know why they were preset to that but I had no clue THANK YOU
Glad to hear!

FYI: the 7XXX series will boost all the way to the thermal limit. So high spikes are pretty much normal.