[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 3900x wont boot in Msi X470 Gaming Plus

Jun 12, 2020
I have decent experience building pcs but im stumped. My pc specs are: Ryzen 9 3900x, Msi X470 Gaming plus, 16gb G skill Trident z 3200mhz ram, Gtx 1080ti, 1 Tb m.2 western digital ssd, 500gb patriot burst ssd, 1200w gold modular rosewill photon power supply. The bios is the very latest version (as of 6/12/20) and the pc works great when i swap the cpu to the ryzen 3 1300x. But when i put the 3900x in, the warning light goes red on "dram" and doesnt boot. Aka i dont get to see the bios. I hope its not a dead cpu, but it looks likely, any ideas?

Solution
Looked at the motherboards support page and nowhere does it say to upgrade the bios in stages, just maybe if having a really older one to update the chipset drivers first, but think by now with AMD is that good practice anyway.

Is usually Asrock that needs to be updated in stages.

You really saw that message?

I did jump from the original bios to the latest. There was a message saying i should download an older version before updating past it.

Have the latest chipset drivers?
AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops
Jun 12, 2020
The bios version i am currently using is 7b79vah2 beta but i tried using 7b79vag too and neither booted. I am about to swap the chip into a b450 tomahawk max and see if that will boot.

Jun 12, 2020
The 3900x booted in the b450 tomahawk max. Now the question is what am i doing wrong in the x470. I used a fat32 usb drive to update the bios, using m flash through the bios using a ryzen 3 1300x.

Jun 12, 2020
Alright. I finally got the 3900x to boot on the x470, but with only one stick on ram in the 3rd slot. The memory is trident z f4-3200 cl16-18-18-38 8gb each stick. I was trying to run dual channel before. What do i do now?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
HOW did you update the bios on that X470? Just pick the latest? If so, I'm betting that's the issue.

The older boards had a smaller bios chip (blame the vendor cutting costs, not amd). Consequently, the amount of info, tables, bug fixes, instructions etc needed to update a bios is more than the bios chip can contain.

So updates must be done in sequence. Hopefully you can revert back to an original bios or at least an older version pre-3rd release.

The problem lies with the changes themselves. If the original bios had XYZ, an update contains data to change XYZ to 123. A newer update contains data to change 123 to ABC. What it doesn't contain is data to change XYZ to ABC, skipping the 123 needs. Not enough room for all the possible changes.

So you'll need to update several times, the notes in the bios updates themselves will tell you which prior update is a necessity before continuing.

If you don't follow the sequence, you get a new version bios, that still contains XYZ, because there was nothing to tell it to change to ABC in the first place. The 1300x is a first release cpu, so automatically will use XYZ without issue, but the 3rd release 3900x throws an error because it can't find ABC.

Jun 12, 2020
I did jump from the original bios to the latest. There was a message saying i should download an older version before updating past it. The computer works now, the ram is just unstable.

Jun 12, 2020
Watch the, now edited, "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
Couldnt revert the bios. <<Edited by moderator>>. Im getting x570.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Looked at the motherboards support page and nowhere does it say to upgrade the bios in stages, just maybe if having a really older one to update the chipset drivers first, but think by now with AMD is that good practice anyway.

Is usually Asrock that needs to be updated in stages.

You really saw that message?

I did jump from the original bios to the latest. There was a message saying i should download an older version before updating past it.

Have the latest chipset drivers?
AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops

Solution