News Ryzen 9 4900HS Battery Testing: Unplugged Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Run Time Explored With Various Workloads

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Out of curiosity, how is battery health affected? I replaced a battery in a Dell XPS 13 from a few years ago. I took very good care of the battery but on two occasions there was a MEI and video driver malfunction that prevented the laptop from going to sleep. In each case, after Windows shut down (still with like 7% charge or something), when I started it back up and looked at battery wear...it showed like 5 - 7% of wear each time ....and wear = time. Each time you let the battery discharge completely for a test, did you check the health? Is it still at the same level you started at?

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin
Out of curiosity, how is battery health affected? I replaced a battery in a Dell XPS 13 from a few years ago. I took very good care of the battery but on two occasions there was a MEI and video driver malfunction that prevented the laptop from going to sleep. In each case, after Windows shut down (still with like 7% charge or something), when I started it back up and looked at battery wear...it showed like 5 - 7% of wear each time ....and wear = time. Each time you let the battery discharge completely for a test, did you check the health? Is it still at the same level you started at?
Same, I have an xps 15 from 2 generations ago and the battery software was horrific. Dell makes decent hardware, but some aspects of their laptops really turn me off somtimes.

Probably realistic for most use cases. Scrolling webpages, writing documents and emails uses less resources than video. Unless you're watching 8 hours of YouTube a day.
I disagree. If the video decode is properly offloaded to hardware, then video playback, particularly local video playback (as opposed to streamed video) should be one of the least taxing use-cases for a laptop. CPU usage should be close to nothing and there should just be a constant, light load on the GPU decode engine. How warm does your phone get after an hour of video playback? It shouldn't be warm at all.

Webpages, on the other hand, particularly ad-invested ones, involve burst workloads where the SOC will boost high and sacrifice efficiency to shave tens of milliseconds off the time it takes to render the page.

Word and email - I agree with you there, that's very low power use.

Is this a new battery test methodology from TomsHardware? Hence the lack of comparison data? If so, some more details would be helpful. Is it a local video file playback or online? What software/browser are you using for playback? Why? Have you tested other alternatives?

Same, I have an xps 15 from 2 generations ago and the battery software was horrific. Dell makes decent hardware, but some aspects of their laptops really turn me off somtimes.

Recently we have had a string of battery's expand in Dell Latitude business laptops. Mostly the E5550s and E5570s. And in most cases they are ones that are docked more than not which I assume is the cause more than anything.

It was probably just a bad run though as replacements seem to do just fine.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin
I'm assuming I just got a bad unit too. Unfortunately, the battery issues started after my warranty ran out, but everyone else I know that has an XPS from up to 3 years ago seems to have at least decent battery life, even with the 4k panels.