[SOLVED] Ryzen 9 5900X running hot while idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
For some reason my Ryzen 9 5900X idle temperatures are running 25+ degrees hotter than normal, and that I cannot understand why.

The cooler is a Kraken X63 . Normal idle temperatures were around 37 , under load no more than 77 ish

Now its idling at 67 and still doesnt go over 77

I am running a high performance power plan but CPU low is 5% and high is 100%

Everything is set as default in the BIOS which is the 37a for the Aorus X570 Elite Rev 1 . RAM is running at XMP 1

I assume this isn't a problem with the seating of the cooler as it would overheat under load surely ?

It is idling at 4.7 Ghz , which seems crazy high for an idle clock speed.

I cannot install the Ryzen power plans at all, in fact I cannot install any new chipset drivers as there is nothing but trouble with the installers.

ANyone got any ideas ? Should I reseat it anyway ?

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I use HWInfo 64 and currently it is showing 56 as im typing this I notice the VCore has dropped from 1.4V to 1.32V , before it was stuck on 1.4V ...

PBO couldnt have been doing anything right ?

It's an AIO and both pipes are cool to the touch.

The only thing I can think of in this situation if this setup had a few months is to check the thermal paste. I had a situation where my 5600X for no real explicable reason ran up to 60-70C while playing a video. It turns out the thermal paste managed to pump itself out. Re-applied using a different paste and so far it's been consistent a year later.

EDIT: If you're curious about which paste I was using, I started with Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut, but switched to Hydronaut.

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I reseated the Cooler just in case, Didn't have any Kryonaut just some MX 5 , and cinebench all cores is running at 82 degrees. idle is low to mid 50's .

Something has changed in the Voltages or something, but I cannot find any answers anywhere.

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I am going to use PBO 2 to undervolt all cores , I have it running at -30 on all cores and its brought the temp down to the low 50's idling.

But I am also thinking this cooler is messed up. One day it's bringing temps down to 38 idling, now minimum 50 something. The only system change was Windows 11. Unless Windows 11 still has issues with Ryzen CPUs ?

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
And just to confuse me more, running handbrake , 100% CPU use all cores hitting 4.4Ghz temp is 64 lol

Looking in HWInfo, max core speed was 4.9 I assume thats 1 core.

This whole thing has confused me no end, but the system is stable and running extremely well under load . Just idle temps are higher . Maybe I am worrying about nothing... No idea.

KyaraM

Admirable
Check the fan curve? Maybe it got changed somehow and the cooler is not ramping up until higher temps.

However, when I switched to Windows 11, I did notice that my CPU, the 12700K, ran a couple of degrees warmer than under Windows 10. At load, however. It idles as around 28°C at under 500rpm cooler speed, lol. Nowhere as bad as for you, but around 5°C more under load do make a difference imho. Especially when you use air cooling like me.

Reactions: LeVzi
DO you find Hydronaut better ? I am using Kryonaut atm.
Hydronaut is thicker, but performs slightly worse (1-2C maybe). However, the name should give it away what it's meant for: water cooling. I only went with it because I wanted to try another Thermal Grizzly product and people recommended that if not Kryonaut or Conductonaut.

Considering this is in the product literature of Thermal Grizzly's website:
„Kryo" - the greek word for "cold" - also found in the german word for "cryoengineering", suggests that this thermal grease was created especially for cryogenic applications - for the true "Kryonauts" amongst the "extreme overclockers".

I'm led to believe Kryonaut actually has a niche use, but due to reviews and whatnot, people just bought it up and Thermal Grizzly was like ¯\(ツ)

So I think you're probably in the same situation as me. Take off the cooler, if the thermal paste seems to have crept up to the edges of it, it pumped out.

Reactions: LeVzi

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
Hydronaut is thicker, but performs slightly worse (1-2C maybe). However, the name should give it away what it's meant for: water cooling. I only went with it because I wanted to try another Thermal Grizzly product and people recommended that if not Kryonaut or Conductonaut.

Considering this is in the product literature of Thermal Grizzly's website:

I'm led to believe Kryonaut actually has a niche use, but due to reviews and whatnot, people just bought it up and Thermal Grizzly was like ¯\(ツ)

So I think you're probably in the same situation as me. Take off the cooler, if the thermal paste seems to have crept up to the edges of it, it pumped out.

I changed the paste, only had MX 5 and the temps are the same, its not that. I am suspecting a bad pump here. Although it never overheats. Really strange.

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
"Never overheats" in that it never gets above say 80-90C yet can retain base clock speeds?

Yeah that's what I mean, it never reached Tjmax , in fact barely gets to 80 tbh, but idles at 65. CPU use when idling is about 10% constantly, SYSTEM is a demanding process in performance on TM.

It sometimes drops under idlle temperature when on full load. Running Cinebench it was 61 degrees. How can I idle higher than the full load ? lol

Yeah that's what I mean, it never reached Tjmax , in fact barely gets to 80 tbh, but idles at 65. CPU use when idling is about 10% constantly, SYSTEM is a demanding process in performance on TM.

It sometimes drops under idlle temperature when on full load. Running Cinebench it was 61 degrees. How can I idle higher than the full load ? lol
Also one more thing, is this the Tctl/Tdie temperature, or the the CPU Die average temp? If it's the former, it's normal for the CPU to spike up in temperature even when idling.

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
CPU Die average is 3 degrees lower than the other one , currently residing at 55 degrees, give or take. Normally i'd say for a Ryzen 9, thats OK, but considering I had it down under 40 when idling and the fans weren't spinning up so much something has gone wrong.

Could this be a cooling issue you think ? This happened out of the blue one day, I noticed the fans were loud, maybe the Kraken X63 has gone pear shaped ? I had decent idling temperatures in Win 11 with this cooler at the start tbh . IIRC. I might be wrong and not have noticed it tbh.

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
More testing more changes.

The NZXT CAM Beta software seems to be better with Windows 11. I set the plan to performance and dropped idle temps under 60, completely idle goes to 50 . I need to test thermals under complete load, so far I use Cinebench, and under full load , the thermals are less than the idle temp.

I am assuming that's normal for 12 core spread of load, and the idle high temperatures are actually 2 cores with the other 10 sleeping , just getting a high voltage and boost.

Realistically I guess I have nothing to worry about, does Prime95 with small FFT's still torture test the thermals with a Ryzen 5900X ?

One good thing came out of this I found out how to update chipset drivers when you get the AMD error. lol

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
I think I have fixed , or at least partially fixed this issue .

WIndows 11 does not remember your profile for NZXT coolers. The Kraken X63 doesn't have a clue what to do. Even with the CAM software running, it still isn't cooling as it should.

I downloaded the BETA CAM software and when it was active, the cooler works. I set PBO back to AUTO from Advanced. Using Negative all cores 30 was causing heat increase.

Basically the CAM BETA software is set on performance, and has to be running ALL the time, and the system was idling under 50 , normal browsing is 53, and while running Cinebench , under 60. So in actual fact the CAM BETA is better than the original. I will reseat the heatsink when the Kryonaut arrives, as that will give 5 degrees improvement .

If I simply go by CPU DIE temps, it barely scrapes over 50.

So that was the major change, prior to the WIN 11 update, the NZXT Software settings are not remembered by WIN 11 ,and need to run at startup and stay running. That is different behaviour than the original CAM Software under Win 10.

ALSO, for anyone having issues installing the AMD Chipset drivers with the error "A system update is required" , run the installer, close the error , and goto c:\AMD\Chipset Drivers and navigate to the folders that contain each driver and run it from there. Each one will be installed.

Unlike Gigabytes ingenious idea of "Reinstall Win 11" as their marvellous support.

LeVzi

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
Would the 5900X be pulling 1.3V + while idle ?

Seems it rarely drops below that.

Would that potentially be a program making ramp up like that ? Only process I see with high CPU power is SYSTEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.