Ryzen and PCIe 3.0 problems

Th3-Trinity

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
So I decided to buy some Ryzen parts from a friend and a fairly low price to take a stab at getting acquainted with the Ryzen platform. I verified that his part config was working correctly, making it more than likely that all of his parts were good. I purchased his CPU, Board, Cooler, Case, and PSU. I got everything all built up with a GPU from Ebay, and unfortunately, no video. I can verify that the PC does POST and work FINE with a lower-end gpu that is either PCIe 2.0 or 1.0, so the issue lies with graphics. The GPU I got from ebay works fine on my other computer, meaning the card is likely not the problem. The kicker is that the card works fine in the new computer if you put it in the PCIe_2 slot running at x8. The issue comes in when trying to get the GPU to work at PCIe 3.0 x16 in slot PCIe_1. You can tell that the computer will POST with the GPU in the first slot (Mobo light profile kicks in), but video will not come through.

I have tried:
-Different high end GPU (GTX 1080Ti that I know works) - All high-end GPUs fail to work in PCIe_1.
-Different Mobo with Different Chipset - EXACT same issue.
-Checking CPU for bent pins
-Trying a different PSU
-Trying different RAM (of same or lower quality)
-Clearing CMOS using on-board jumpers
-Flashing BIOS to newest version
-Flashing VBIOS of GPU to latest version
-Resetting BIOS settings to default config
-Trying RAM in multiple DIMM slots
-Trying to POST board outside of case.

Nothing seems to be fixing the issue. My thinking is that when I tested the build (pre-purchase), I was using my friend's 16GB 3GHZ memory. I am now using my 2.4GHZ memory to test. I suppose RAM could be an issue, but thought that I would check with the community to see if anyone may have run into this with Ryzen in the past before going on to put more money into a project that I originally started to build a low-budget machine.

System Specs:
Ryzen 7 1700x
ASUS Prime x370 Pro
850W Corsair PSU (Also tested with separate 600W)
Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB
Corsair Vengeance 2.4GHZ DDR4 RAM (Tested with same or lower quality RAM)

Thanks for reading my book here! I would appreciate anybody that may be able to shed light on the topic. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Issue ended up being sheer incompatibility with the GTX 970. Machine is running fine with the GTX 1080Ti now for some reason. Really a weird situation all around.

gigantusmagnus

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017

what? really?
what do you mean with different chipset? surely its a different CPU too right?

Bungle11

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Did you use the same cpu with the different board? What was the different motherboard? I have a 1700x on a gigabyte aorus ax370-gaming k5 with a 1080 in slot 1. Your issue is very strange indeed :(

Th3-Trinity

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
Same CPU, different board. Same issue, though the CPU was working fine on the same board for my friend. The only thing I didn't buy from him was RAM and GPU. He was using vengeance LPX memory. I suppose that could be an issue but is RAM really going to completely stop a PCIe slot from running at full x16 on PCIe 3

the only way to know for sure is what kind of code it produces when that combination of ram and GPU is used together. does your motherboard have any debug lights or display on it?

Th3-Trinity

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
He already sold his GPU to somebody else but I have had no success using any PCIe 3.0 card in that x16 slot. PCIe 2.0 cards (older cards) work fine in that slot.

No the board does not have any debug lights. I suppose it may have a speaker header but it didn't come with the speaker. Very bare bones board for the price to be honest

Aug 12, 2018
I'm having a similar issue. Just upgraded from an MSI b450 to a prime x470 pro and my rx480 will not work in slot_2... But will work just fine in slot_1. Called Asus and they said most likely a faulty slot. I can return it to microcenter or just deal with it. In slot 1 the card covers up the pretty rgb lighting on the board... :-(