[SOLVED] Ryzen APU Build Intermittent Display Issues

Apr 18, 2022
Hi everyone,

This is my first ever post on this forum, if this post is in the wrong category I apologize. I'm having some issues with a build that I completed around 6 months ago. I figured I'd ask here as it seems like the best place for PC related stuff.

My system is as follows:
Ryzen 7 5700G (No OC)
AORUS B550 Elite AX V2
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz 32G (4x8G)
Corsair RMX650 PSU
No GPU, hence the choice of the APU

I am experiencing some strange issues with the system. They started about two months after I built the system and they are intermittent. The first is a black screen on boot, the fans spin up and the mouse and keyboard light up but there is no video signal to my MSI monitor which is connected by DisplayPort.

Typically, if I just hold the power button until the system shuts off and then turn it on again, it will boot normally and the display will work. It seems to be totally random as to whether the display will work or not. I have checked all the usual stuff like making sure display cables are secure, making sure the CPU is seated correctly, cleared CMOS, disabled X.M.P but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

The other issue that I am facing happens while in the OS. Sometimes when the computer is idling or when I'm using it (web browsing, programming etc), the screen will go blank (black) for about a second and then come back. It can do this multiple times in a single hour and sometimes it will not happen for a few days and then all of a sudden will come back.

I have tried many different versions of the AMD graphics drivers, using Linux instead of Windows and even connecting a different monitor but the problem still occurs.

To me, these issues seems like they are hardware related but I can't figure out exactly what the cause/fault is. I wondered if anyone could help me narrow it down? If anyone has experienced similar or even the same issues, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Hi everyone,

This is my first ever post on this forum, if this post is in the wrong category I apologize. I'm having some issues with a build that I completed around 6 months ago. I figured I'd ask here as it seems like the best place for PC related stuff.

My system is as follows:
Ryzen 7 5700G (No OC)
AORUS B550 Elite AX V2
Corsair RMX650 PSU

I am experiencing some strange issues with the system. They started about two months after I built the system and they are intermittent. The first is a black screen on boot, the fans spin up and the mouse and keyboard light up but there is no video signal to my MSI monitor which is connected by DisplayPort...
I experienced a very similar issue, but in my case the problem started when i installed an Nvidia card to a PC running a 2200g on an ASRock X370 motherboard. The PC had worked perfectly for several years, but when i installed the card, as you describe, the screen would go blank (black) for about a second and then come back. It would do this 2 or 3 times every day or two. It seemed like a driver issue to me, but I could never figure out how to fix the problem so after three weeks i gave up and removed the card. The PC has worked flawlessly since then.

Reactions: luca.v
Hi everyone,

My system is as follows:
Ryzen 7 5700G (No OC)
AORUS B550 Elite AX V2
Corsair RMX650 PSU

I am experiencing some strange issues with the system. They started about two months after I built the system and they are intermittent. The first is a black screen on boot, the fans spin up and the mouse and keyboard light up but there is no video signal to my MSI monitor which is connected by DisplayPort.

Typically, if I just hold the power button until the system shuts off and then turn it on again, it will boot normally and the display will work. It seems to be totally random as to whether the display will work or not. I have checked all the usual stuff like making sure display cables are secure, making sure the CPU is seated correctly, cleared CMOS, disabled X.M.P but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

The other issue that I am facing happens while in the OS. Sometimes when the computer is idling or when I'm using it (web browsing, programming etc), the screen will go blank (black) for about a second and then come back. It can do this multiple times in a single hour and sometimes it will not happen for a few days and then all of a sudden will come back.

I have tried many different versions of the AMD graphics drivers, using Linux instead of Windows and even connecting a different monitor but the problem still occurs.

To me, these issues seems like they are hardware related but I can't figure out exactly what the cause/fault is. I wondered if anyone could help me narrow it down? If anyone has experienced similar or even the same issues, any help would be greatly appreciated.
If linux also does it that would seem to eliminate the OS.

Do you have the proper bios?

Test with one stick of ram in the proper slot.

If no help try a different psu.

Solution
Apr 18, 2022
I experienced a very similar issue, but in my case the problem started when i installed an Nvidia card to a PC running a 2200g on an ASRock X370 motherboard. The PC had worked perfectly for several years, but when i installed the card, as you describe, the screen would go blank (black) for about a second and then come back. It would do this 2 or 3 times every day or two. It seemed like a driver issue to me, but I could never figure out how to fix the problem so after three weeks i gave up and removed the card. The PC has worked flawlessly since then.
Right ok. If the APU graphics are to blame, that would be odd as the GPU is on the same chip as the CPU which seems to work fine. Unfortunately I don't have a discrete GPU to test the system with so I can't disable the integrated graphics to see if it is indeed the cause.

Apr 18, 2022
If linux also does it that would seem to eliminate the OS.

Do you have the proper bios?

Test with one stick of ram in the proper slot.

If no help try a different psu.
Yeah I am running the latest official BIOS from Gigabyte. I will try your suggestion of running the system with a single stick of RAM installed. Unfortunately, I do not own any other PSUs that I can try as this was my first build.

Apr 18, 2022
Has your motherboard been updated to the latest chipset drivers?
Yep, my system is currently running Windows and the very latest AMD Chipset drivers and Radeon GPU driver are installed. A bad driver was the first thing I suspected when this started happening, but I've since used many different driver versions and even tried using Linux which uses different drivers entirely, yet the problem remains.

Yep, my system is currently running Windows and the very latest AMD Chipset drivers and Radeon GPU driver are installed. A bad driver was the first thing I suspected when this started happening, but I've since used many different driver versions and even tried using Linux which uses different drivers entirely, yet the problem remains.
Have you tried contacting Gigabyte Customer/Technical support on their website, to see if they have any idea what is causing this problem? In the past i have always found the technical support staff to be very helpful.

Apr 18, 2022
Have you tried contacting Gigabyte Customer/Technical support on their website, to see if they have any idea what is causing this problem? In the past i have always found the technical support staff to be very helpful.
I have not contacted Gigabyte yet, I wanted to ask around here first to see if there was something simple that I had overlooked. I'm currently running MemTest86 on each of my RAM sticks, if they all come back clear then I will get in touch with Gigabyte support and ask them too.

Apr 18, 2022
I have not contacted Gigabyte yet, I wanted to ask around here first to see if there was something simple that I had overlooked. I'm currently running MemTest86 on each of my RAM sticks, if they all come back clear then I will get in touch with Gigabyte support and ask them too.