AMD Ryzen 7 1800x with a Corsair H100i v2 cooler
ASRock x370 Taichi
G.SKILL Flare X DDR4 2400 32gb
Corsair AX860
XFX R9 390X
2x WD Black 2TB
Samsung 960 EVO m.2 500gb
Asus Xonar GX2.5

A bit of history. I originally built this pc with the release of Ryzen. It originally had an Asus Prime x370-pro in it and a Corsair RM750x. It ran pretty solidly for about 2 or 3 months and then I started to get intermittent black screens despite keeping up to date with the BIOS. I saw various users reporting these with the x370-pro even after rma's so I decided to just switch to the ASRock x370 Taichi. Upon this hardware swap I also reinstalled Windows and updated the BIOS.

Things were ok for a week or two and then black screens again. I tried upgrading the power supply to a Corsair AX860, didn't help anything. I also tried reinstalling drivers many times, graphics, cpu, chipset, bios, everything. I use DDU when I mess with the graphics drivers as well. I've run prime95 for a couple hours at a time with no errors, cinebench no errors.

At this point I started a cpu rma with AMD and in the meantime dropped in a new 1800x.

2 days later, black screen is back.

The pc remains stable for 1 - 5 days and then will randomly black screen. Sometimes it's idling, sometimes I'm in the middle of a game, sometimes I'm just browsing the internet. Sometimes it happens when the computer is asleep. All the same symptoms though, the pc's power remains on seemingly, but the displays are black and it is otherwise unresponsive.

It infrequently will provide an error in the event viewer, usually something along the lines of a hardware exception involving a processor core. Often times there is nothing though and windows just reports it as an unexpected restart.

Sometimes it seems to get in a state of instability for whatever reason and it will just continually black screen upon reboots until I go into the bios and load uefi defaults which will then put it into its 1 - 5 days of stability.

I'm at my wits end with this pc and would be quite grateful for any assistance.

Solution
Try reinstalling Windows, using one of the methods on the Internet for stopping the Windows updates and testing. If still the same, try testing different graphics card, if possible.

ben.perrydev

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

I've tried various windows updates. Of note, it did this before and after the fall creators update.

ben.perrydev

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

I actually upgraded my monitor amidst this as well. The build currently has a 4k LG Freesync monitor connected via display port as well as 2 dvi 1080p monitors.

TRENDING THREADS