[SOLVED] Ryzen CPU Fan Ramps Up while PC is Unused

I've heard it many times before on the forums here, but I'm experiencing it for myself. I have a new system barely a month old with the specs below:

Ryzen 3 2200G w/ stock fan.
Asus Strix B450-F mobo
120mm intake
120mm exhaust
Sapphire RX 570 Pulse
EVGA 750 B1

It mainly just sits there with the screen locked, but with my main game clients up and running so it can download games and updates. But mostly it just sits idle. While having not used it all day, the CPU fan will ramp up to full speed (very loud and noticeable, would alarm someone who didn't know what it was.) Seems odd to me that the PC is idle with the screen locked for hours and it all of a sudden needs 100% CPU fan. It does that maybe 2-3 times per day (that I notice.)

I'll probably end up with an aftermarket cooler on there, but the case is a Spec-01 and is limited to shorter coolers. I'll have to buy one. I'll use take this opportunity to complain about Cryorig not keeping their cheaper coolers widely available (H7, C7, M9i). What happened to Cryorig??

Maybe I'll update the BIOS on the motherboard.

Solution
I'd just replace the cooler. There are a LOT of threads out there with similar problems and so far as I know, I haven't seen anybody actually come up with an answer as to why and I think it's simply crappy quality and poor quality of components on some samples. Very doubtful there is a fix. Put a different cooler if you have one or get a different cooler, and if you have a similar issue even with a different cooler at least you'll know it's likely something with the motherboard AND you'll already have a better cooler which is probably a really good idea even if you weren't having problems. Those cheap ass cooler master fans on the wraith coolers are garbage anyhow. I don't care what ANYBODY or any review says. They are just like the...
Update the BIOS and set a custom fan curve for the CPU fan in your Qfan settings. I would suggest creating a new custom profile in the saved profiles section of your BIOS so you can tinker around and instantly revert back to your current settings, so maybe save your current profile first, then make changes, then save as a second profile and tinker further with that as you go along trying to solve the issue. That way you don't ever really have to just start from scratch again if you get frustrated or forget what the hell got changed where. Probably you already know this but always worth mentioning anyhow.

Be sure to update the BIOS first though, because once you update, any saved profiles will be wiped out. So update first, and create profiles and tinker with settings second.

Cryorig has decided to mostly move out of the US market. It's a shame, because they make quality products that perform well and they WERE at one time VERY competitively priced. At 30+35 bucks the H7 was the best cooler you could get for 20-35 bucks before they decided to stop supplying most other markets. I don't know why exactly, but what I do know is that pretty much much any Cryorig product you see for sale through a US retailer now is being sold by a third party or is old stock.

It's possible that there is an issue with the PWM circuit in your cooler. Really these wraith coolers are incredibly low cost products, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody that they don't last very long and often have issues right from the start in addition to not being particularly capable even though they are moderately more capable than Intel's version of a stock cooler. I think an aftermarket cooler is a good idea. That fan behavior and similar symptoms like constant ramping up and down, are usually suggestive of a problem with the PWM or RPM signal somewhere in the the wiring or the circuitry itself. Every time I've seen something like this a replacement cooler or fan has cured the issue. Except in one case that was a faulty PWM controller on a motherboard.

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy
So I updated the BIOS, set fans to silent. Still did it 3 times within 30 minutes of just sitting there on the lock screen.
Changed fans to manual. Same thing.

*Edit: I think the updated BIOS has made it worse. It's now doing it every 5 mins or so. Oh, but I also changed fans to PWM instead of Auto after updating the BIOS.

I'd just replace the cooler. There are a LOT of threads out there with similar problems and so far as I know, I haven't seen anybody actually come up with an answer as to why and I think it's simply crappy quality and poor quality of components on some samples. Very doubtful there is a fix. Put a different cooler if you have one or get a different cooler, and if you have a similar issue even with a different cooler at least you'll know it's likely something with the motherboard AND you'll already have a better cooler which is probably a really good idea even if you weren't having problems. Those cheap ass cooler master fans on the wraith coolers are garbage anyhow. I don't care what ANYBODY or any review says. They are just like the rest of Cooler Masters stuff, cheap garbage.

Solution

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
I'd just replace the cooler. There are a LOT of threads out there with similar problems and so far as I know, I haven't seen anybody actually come up with an answer as to why and I think it's simply crappy quality and poor quality of components on some samples. Very doubtful there is a fix. Put a different cooler if you have one or get a different cooler, and if you have a similar issue even with a different cooler at least you'll know it's likely something with the motherboard AND you'll already have a better cooler which is probably a really good idea even if you weren't having problems. Those cheap ass cooler master fans on the wraith coolers are garbage anyhow. I don't care what ANYBODY or any review says. They are just like the rest of Cooler Masters stuff, cheap garbage.
Wraith coolers are bad?Km getting Ryzen 7 2700 and comes with a wraith cooler

All Ryzen CPUs come with a wraith cooler, and for a stock cooler they are better than we used to expect from a stock cooler but the fact is they are cheaply built, which is why they can afford to include them with a CPU without a noticeable bump in cost, and they are not going to offer you any really decent performance. They are no better than any other fifteen dollar cooler and worse than some 20 dollar coolers by a far margin.

If you want a cooler that is better than the Wraith coolers they come with, in any of the three flavors, then grab a Gammaxx 400. It outperforms the 212 EVO. It grossly outperforms the stock cooler and for a cooler that costs less than 30 dollars it offers fairly decent performance. I wouldn't use one for overclocking, but for stock configurations you'll have a quieter and cooler system that will be a lot less likely to have problems. If you want something better, it's going to cost more, but for around 45 bucks the Thermalright Macho Rev.B is an excellent cooler with terrific performance, even on overclocked systems.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
All Ryzen CPUs come with a wraith cooler, and for a stock cooler they are better than we used to expect from a stock cooler but the fact is they are cheaply built, which is why they can afford to include them with a CPU without a noticeable bump in cost, and they are not going to offer you any really decent performance. They are no better than any other fifteen dollar cooler and worse than some 20 dollar coolers by a far margin.

If you want a cooler that is better than the Wraith coolers they come with, in any of the three flavors, then grab a Gammaxx 400. It outperforms the 212 EVO. It grossly outperforms the stock cooler and for a cooler that costs less than 30 dollars it offers fairly decent performance. I wouldn't use one for overclocking, but for stock configurations you'll have a quieter and cooler system that will be a lot less likely to have problems. If you want something better, it's going to cost more, but for around 45 bucks the Thermalright Macho Rev.B is an excellent cooler with terrific performance, even on overclocked systems.
Ok.Thanks

No way I'd ever choose any Raijintek cooler over a Deepcool cooler to save one dollar. Or at all for that matter, unless they've improved both their mounting systems AND the fact that the only way they get ANY kind of decent results in testing, and reviews bear this out, is by using extremely high RPM fans that force feed the air at the cost of insufferable noise levels. Maybe they've gotten better since the three or four I've used on client builds in the past, but those were terrible.

Honestly, I want a cooler that is easy to install and remove on a regular basis. I went and bought several Ryzen CPUs and have some older Intel CPUs for the intent of comparing them in benchmarks for my YouTube channel. So, I might want to install and remove the cooler several times in a short period. I like Noctua's method, the backplate and bracket stay put, and the tower has 2 screws built-in that just screw into the baseplate.

If there's a cooler that is exceptionally easy to install that either of you know of I'd be glad to hear about it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If doing open bench type testing, I'd stick with the NH-D15. Of all the aircoolers it's got the highest capacity, so will handle just about anything. If you are planning on pounding on cpus like the i9 9900k or TR or 3900x, then a 360mm aio with asetek pump will be the best solution as they too have the highest capacity and only 4 easy thumbscrews to mess with and adaptability for either mounting system.

You could also use a CM hyper212 Black, the new version, as that has a similar mount to the Noctuas now, quite easy to use, and can compare outputs vrs temps under loads as both the Ryzens and i9's are smart cpus and only scale cores/threads and speeds if temps are acceptable.

Well, I think most everybody knows my vote will just about always go to Noctua or Thermalright, and as I always say, let's not confuse them with Thermaltake since they don't really belong in the same conversation.

Much probably depends on what your budget is for the cooler.