Ryzen CPU Fan

Mar 12, 2018
Hello,

I recently built a system mainly based on RGB lighting. I purchased a CoolerMaster MA610P which did a poor job at cooling my Ryzen 1600x for the price and the 2 120mm fans. I swapped it out for an Artic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro, which was only $25 and did a better job than the CoolerMaster. Now I am looking to improve the temp a bit using an air method. What are your thoughts on the Noctua NH-L9a for the Ryzen 1600x? I don't OC (not by choice, that's an issue for another thread). I know its low profile and I don't have a low profile case, I just don't want a bulky CPU fan in the system.

Solution
First is a case or form over functionality. There's no way that Noctua would improve cooling over that freezer pro or even CM. I's rated for 65W TDP and processor is over 95W. Unfortunately, there's no magic formula to make small coolers as energy efficient as larger ones. Improving case ventilation may help but you may want to look at some AiO liquid cooler too for cleaner look. Single radiator, 120mm fan(s) would also do the trick without overclocking.
First is a case or form over functionality. There's no way that Noctua would improve cooling over that freezer pro or even CM. I's rated for 65W TDP and processor is over 95W. Unfortunately, there's no magic formula to make small coolers as energy efficient as larger ones. Improving case ventilation may help but you may want to look at some AiO liquid cooler too for cleaner look. Single radiator, 120mm fan(s) would also do the trick without overclocking.

Solution
Mar 12, 2018

Good call. Amazon was showing 95w for some reason. The actual website confirms what you stated. Any single fan liquid coolers that are ASUS aura compatible you'd recommend?

Mar 12, 2018

I'm going to go with this. For the price, its too good to be beat. I'm kind of worried that it will operate loudly, but as I said, I'm not overclocking, so my processor shouldn't be cooking (expected to cook a bit being a Ryzen)