Ryzen Embedded Powers Smach Z Handheld Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was WINE not a viable option for them to preinstall?....maybe put a custom UI on?

Asking end users to purchase a windows license seem steep for a device already at $490 retail at the cheapest. Granted, they don't have any direct competition yet, so I guess we'll see how demand tumbles out.

Mar 2, 2018
The information about the stock Linux OS is completely false. Users will be able to CHOOSE between Linux and Windows, and no they won't be required to pay for a Windows license, since Windows is free on devices under 9".

alan_rave

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
$ 890 - is a price of a single GeForce GTX 1070. I need hdmi port to connect the monitor and I do not need to create a new computer))

Medallish

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
ALAN_RAVE
Well certainly, this isn't something you should ever buy instead of a desktop computer, however you won't be able to bring your desktop computer with you on public transport and play PC games.
It's a high price, yes, but it's going to be upgradeable, so next gen APU's? You just have to buy a small board and replace it.

alextheblue

Distinguished

"A small board" (custom board) with a next-gen APU could be a couple hundred bucks easy. Not to mention if it's a substantial upgrade... you'll have to upgrade the RAM too. Heck, dual-channel 2400 DDR4 already bottlenecks the current chip a bit - and somewhere I read that the default config was 2133. Anyway still an interesting device, and I'm not against upgrades, just don't get your hopes up for a super-affordable "drop in a new APU for $150" upgrade scenario.

Mar 3, 2018
The upgrade would probably be arround 200 euros, according to the ceo. Not less for sure, the raw cpu is already pricy.

Mar 3, 2018
Also, the information is wrong about the OS, they offer the choice and you certainly don't need to pay for windows as it's small screen device! So you can choose windows or linux and install whatever you want anyway, even steamos. Unfortunately, for the console with 4gb of ram they plan to put 1 dye of ram, and two for the 8gb version. This is indeed stupid as the whole device relies on that and will be slow...
If you want more and accurate info, search for the article of liliputing for example.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
Who exactly is this marketed to? I'd assume parents are giong to be hard pressed to buy their kids a 500$ when the switch looks to be 300$. As for PC gamers, i feel like most of us are using either desktops or laptops and wouldnt want a handheld.
Not attacking it (i think its pretty cool), just curious as to who its actually meant for

Status
Not open for further replies.