Ryzen 5 3600x
Wraith Prism
x570 i aorus pro wifi
asus rog strix rx570
2x8 (16gb) corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz
500gb adata m.2
500gb ssd
seasonic s12 111 550w

Firstly,im a complete noob to overclocking and to be truthful, it's not something i really need to do but being a pc enthusiast, we're always messing around fixing things that aren't broke! ;) So anyway, ive read that most people advise to overclock using the bios as opposed to doing it on ryzen master, which is cool if you wish to overclock your system permanently but for me, i just want to OC every now and again and run my system through its paces with benchmarks etc and to enable it when im gaming and then switch it off again when im just browsing etc. Is there anything wrong with doing it this way? I also switch between 2 powerplans, when im browsing watching videos etc,(which is 90% of the time,) i have it on the ryzen balanced plan but i cap the max power limit to 99% which disables the cpu boost and keeps my cpu speed to its base speed of 3.8,(which is fine for what i need it for,) and stops my cooler from crazily ramping up and down and when im tinkering around or gaming i switch to the amd high performance powerplan which gives me the boost back again. So, ive been looking into overclocking on the ryzen master and can successfully overclock all 6 cores to run at 4200mhz with a voltage set to 1.35v and a max temp of 77-79 Celsius and it runs stable. Doing this has given me much higher scores on cinebench and cpu-z etc and was just wondering if this is all ok and im not messing anything up at all by messing around with all this?

Last edited:
Solution
i used to be bad at fixing things that weren't broken... to point i would look for problems and cause them without knowing any better. I stopped doing that. Windows doesn't need my help to break.

I don't oc and I don't have a ryzen (yet) but I have heard using 2 plans like you are is pretty common.

if it runs stable and you aren't get any weird errors, I can't see any problems
half your pc is mine, same motherboard, same CPU, same size boot drive... it starts to vary after that. I went for an AIO instead of wraith so I could contemplate an oc at some stage too
I have heard of 3600x running at 4.2ghz idle without oc, so precision boost can get a little silly.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i used to be bad at fixing things that weren't broken... to point i would look for problems and cause them without knowing any better. I stopped doing that. Windows doesn't need my help to break.

I don't oc and I don't have a ryzen (yet) but I have heard using 2 plans like you are is pretty common.

if it runs stable and you aren't get any weird errors, I can't see any problems
half your pc is mine, same motherboard, same CPU, same size boot drive... it starts to vary after that. I went for an AIO instead of wraith so I could contemplate an oc at some stage too
I have heard of 3600x running at 4.2ghz idle without oc, so precision boost can get a little silly.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
hi what you are doing is good. but you do know "ryzen master" has a "game mode" built in. , you could just click to use that setting. if i remember correctly. you can set the gaming mode. and then go back to normal mode. but "gaming mode kicks in automatically" . and reverts back to normal when gaming finishes.. this would save you changing power plans constantly. there is youtube videos explaining ryzen master functions fully. that might help.

as for your temp. and aio would drop them alot. (my aio drops my cpu to "28-30'c idle" and "50-60'c underload" ) but even a normal after market cooler. will drop temps. and good case ventilation
Lol,this post was a little while ago. Ive upgraded my cpu fan which has helped massively and I use CTR to overclock now,so all's good!

Reactions: steveb1976