News Ryzen Mobile Tuning Program Offers Overclocking-Like Capabilities for Ryzen Mobile Laptops

This is the second worst idea ever when it comes to laptops. The first worst, was AMD overdrive being able to overclock mobile parts. Most these laptops are barely able to maintain the delicate balance of cooling versus performance as it is, and they want to give a bunch of clueless laptop owners the ability to wreak havoc on these systems by overclocking them? Jebus. I bet there's going to be a lot of "my laptop is cooked" threads in the near future.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

LabRat 891

Honorable
Apr 18, 2019
The article also goes over the concept of using this tool to 'optimize' for battery life and overall product longevity. That said, this excites me as I already have used a similar tool on a ryzen 5 2500u series laptop with an upgraded cooler to effectively double its performance while staying WELL within thermal tolerances.

Some 'consumer' laptops share cooling component compatibility with 'gaming' units and 'consumer' models with dedicated graphics chips. These coolers are designed for much more thermal load. In my example I was able to put a Nitro 5's cooler into an Aspire laptop, additional fan and all (with some custom wiring and soldering.)

I do not know if there are any Renoir units with this capability, but it is not terribly uncommon to cut down on casing and component costs by sharing parts between varying configurations. I have also seen adventerous users of earlier APU laptops solder/thermal epoxy in additional heat exchangers and heat pipes.
So, I think this is a fantastic and powerful tool for modders and power users or merely those willing to sacrifice performance for battery life and a cooler lap(top).

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Kinda like Throttlestop for Ryzen! Can't be a bad thing. If throttlestop (or like) and it's benefits can come to Ryzen mobile, then it's worth a look.

Hopefully it will allow Ryzen mobile users to undervolt CPU, and get the benefit of higher boosts and for longer.

I run TS on my I7 9750h with a -142mv undervolt on CPU, the CPU now sits at it's all core max speed (4ghz) and temps in the mid 80's. Big difference at stock when temps will hit 95-100 and start throttling back to 3.2ghz.

Kinda like Throttlestop for Ryzen! Can't be a bad thing. If throttlestop (or like) and it's benefits can come to Ryzen mobile, then it's worth a look.

Hopefully it will allow Ryzen mobile users to undervolt CPU, and get the benefit of higher boosts and for longer.

I run TS on my I7 9750h with a -142mv undervolt on CPU, the CPU now sits at it's all core max speed (4ghz) and temps in the mid 80's. Big difference at stock when temps will hit 95-100 and start throttling back to 3.2ghz.
What you would do with it, really doesn't matter. The fact is, thousands of idiots will drop the hammer on their overclocks, burn out their hardware, and then wonder why because "the manufacturer wouldn't have allowed this if it wasn't safe". It will be a full on chit show, if you know what I mean.

The fact is, thousands of idiots will drop the hammer on their overclocks, burn out their hardware,
Well, that's certainly an absolute, all encompassing statement ;) (and is not fact). Whilst I don't disagree necessarily, it's a little harsh. I'm not saying that anyone or someone (perhaps many) will try the tool and will maybe have some hard crashes, or freezes etc and come on here asking questions on how to fix this or that, but that's how we learn. The system will still likely throttle back or shut down to prevent damage to CPU/GPU. so not so sure about burning out hardware.

Anyway, if it's half as useful as TS is for Intel chips, then it's noteworthy. Whether or not people have issue using it from lack of knowledge, that's something we just can't tell.

That's my two cents!