Ryzen motherboard recommendations?

Dave_77

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Hi,
I'm doing a Ryzen build with the 1500x. I would like to ask, therefore, if anyone could recommend a motherboard to use. I would like to spend as little as reasonably possible on a motherboard, presumably with the b350 chipset. Looking on pc part picker I see that there are a couple for around £65 that are micro ATX. While I don't mind micro ATX my only worry with it is that my GPU, hd 7870 Asus overclockable edition is quite large and I am a bit worried that it won't fit with the smaller form factor. Any recommendations would be warmly received.
Thank you very much
Dave

Solution
Any GPU would fit. You can put a micro ATX board in a standard ATX case. You want to think about the case size. You can have an mATX board, but getting a case the supports the GPU is also to be considered.

So at this point, ANY B350 will do you just fine. Just depends on the features you are looking for. No need to go high-end, when you don't use most of the features. You can overclock if you want to, but don't see the need of it.
Any GPU would fit. You can put a micro ATX board in a standard ATX case. You want to think about the case size. You can have an mATX board, but getting a case the supports the GPU is also to be considered.

So at this point, ANY B350 will do you just fine. Just depends on the features you are looking for. No need to go high-end, when you don't use most of the features. You can overclock if you want to, but don't see the need of it.

Solution
I'd recommend the Asus Prime B350-Plus - good board, good company, and most features you'll need for moderate overclocking and general uses. Comes with an M.2 slot and, thankfully, a CPU socket(considering what Intel's doing they might start charging for CPU sockets on motherboards with the next 'X' platform).

Jokes aside, it's a good board - but RAM support is still sketchy, but frankly it's like that with almost all cheaper B350 boards(and most of the expensive ones as well).

Dave_77

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Thank you both for great answers and the promptness of them. I'll probably go for the prime then, on a side note with the 1500x, which I've gone for because it was cheaper than the 1500, what is up with the 'x' bit? I mean to ask, is there like a little switch in the bios or something where it auto boosts to 3.7ghz? Sorry for my ignorance and thank you.

I honestly would stay away from the 'x' series. It gives a higher boost clock over the non-x version. however, the non-x version could easily reach those levels since it is unlocked. Meaning both chips can be overclocked, it's just the x version is set to a higher clock out of the box. Which is why I always recommend the 1600 and not the 1600x since it can easily hit 4.0ghz.

Cromwell__

Prominent
May 31, 2017

Yeah, but unless I'm reading his latest post wrong, he is saying he found the 1500X for cheaper than the 1500. If that is the case then he might as well get the 1500X. 1500 only makes sense if overclocking, and if the 1500 is (as it usually is) cheaper. If he can get the X for cheaper no reason not to.

EDIT: What a minute... this is a trick question... there is no such thing as a 1500 with no X. Right??? I think there is only a 1500X. lol

Dave_77

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Noted, but if I'm looking at a 1500x for £140 off a mate who got two of an Amazon order gone wrong for the price of one, that presumably would be a more cost effective choice than a 1500 as I don't really intend to overclockable at all in the foreseeable future as, truthfully, I cannot be bothered.
Thank you so much though

Cromwell__

Prominent
May 31, 2017

There is no such thing as a 1500, only a 1500X.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryzen

1500X
1600X
1700X
1800X