[SOLVED] Ryzen or Intel CPU in 2020?

amit.rudy

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
Guys Im about to build a new PC, solely for gaming, nothing else, no video editing, no streaming, no content creation, NOTHING! So should i go for Ryzen or Intel processor? I dont care about "Price to performance" Ratio, i want to get the best thing for gaming, that wouldn't make me regret. I have heard that most games are optimized for Intel, while few for Ryzen. What i think that means is, Most games will give their 100% on Intel. Money is not an issue, If i can get a decent i7, then i can also get a Ryzen. I have always used Intel, and i think AMD, though a decent competitor, still not able to give tough competition to Intel. What do you guys think? If you have money to buy any processor "ONLY" for gaming, what would you buy?

Solution
The whole Intel is still "King" for gaming is justified by just a few FPS. Tom's did a nice round up of gpu's scaling at different resolutions. I'm no fanboy of either camp. But to say "King" with such a slim margin is grasping on to nostalgia. AMD has come a long way in the last few years. The King is wearing no clothes right now.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-vs-intel-core-i9-9900k-gaming

When building a pc I look for the best value, what allows the most for a given budget..

A 3900x or a 10900K has a very low price to performance ratio especially for gaming as the extra cores are not used let alone the additional cost for cooling. Productivity, then yes the added cores make sense.

A 10700k or 3700x...

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Guys Im about to build a new PC, solely for gaming, nothing else, no video editing, no streaming, no content creation, NOTHING! So should i go for Ryzen or Intel processor? I dont care about "Price to performance" Ratio, i want to get the best thing for gaming, that wouldn't make me regret. I have heard that most games are optimized for Intel, while few for Ryzen. What i think that means is, Most games will give their 100% on Intel. Money is not an issue, If i can get a decent i7, then i can also get a Ryzen. I have always used Intel, and i think AMD, though a decent competitor, still not able to give tough competition to Intel. What do you guys think? If you have money to buy any processor "ONLY" for gaming, what would you buy?
Best option just for gaming: Overclocked i5 10600k

Best option for gaming and future-proof processing power: Overclocked i7 (might be a bit costly though)

Best budget and non-overclock build: Ryzen 5 3600(X)

The rest depends on your budget. Sometimes it's simply better to get a powerful GPU than a powerful CPU.

logainofhades

Titan
Depends on the GPU you intend to buy. No point in getting the fastest CPU, for gaming, if your GPU is going to just hold you back. You have to strike a balance. Also, right now is a terrible time to buy. Unless you absolutely need a system now, wait for 4th gen ryzen benchmarks, later this year.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you are getting a top-of-the-line GPU, and a super-high-refresh monitor of 1920x1080 resolution, and want to turn down details, and want bragging rights, then go with Intel for gaming. You'll get a handful more FPS that your eyes won't actually be able to see, but that a benchmark or frame-counter will show you.

Anything else, go with Ryzen.

The whole Intel is still "King" for gaming is justified by just a few FPS. Tom's did a nice round up of gpu's scaling at different resolutions. I'm no fanboy of either camp. But to say "King" with such a slim margin is grasping on to nostalgia. AMD has come a long way in the last few years. The King is wearing no clothes right now.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-vs-intel-core-i9-9900k-gaming

When building a pc I look for the best value, what allows the most for a given budget..

A 3900x or a 10900K has a very low price to performance ratio especially for gaming as the extra cores are not used let alone the additional cost for cooling. Productivity, then yes the added cores make sense.

A 10700k or 3700x are more than enough for a gaming pc and even more so at 1440p or 4k.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

Hot take, Ryzen for both gaming and productivity.

By getting Intel, you're paying more for what is essentially a 5% performance jump in gaming and -10% or -15% performance decrease in everything else.

By getting Ryzen you're paying less for 5% decrease gaming performance (which can be mitigated with PBO/OC -- remember, all Ryzens are overclockable, you don't pay extra for an unlocked processor like Intel) and 10%+ or more increase in everything else.

Choose wisely.