Ryzen Post Process: how long does it take... including memory validation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
I'm 6 hours into a build that should have taken 1 hour.

I've read the Ryzen board takes an "extremely" long time to post. But no one gives a specific time.

I'm assuming we are talking less than a few minutes and not hours. Anyone know the answer?

Below is a video of my situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFUS6ffHFpU

Memory LED's turn on and appear to be doing something. PS_SW light is on.

But literally nothing else. No fan, no lighs, no post, no bios.

Solution
^ neither did I till I investigated , I have no idea why a CMOS reset button wouldn't have the same effect either.
There seems to be something sketchy about the gigabyte b350 & x370 boards for some people.
I also own an old 970 ud3p , its been the most rock solid PC component I've ever had hands down & it was a fairly budget option.
The k7 the op has is a $200 premium range board , there shouldn't honestly be any issues IMO at that price range, you should be able to drop your components in & go.
My first ryzen rig (& the one I own) I bought the cheapest full atx board & ddr4 ram there was & it just ran flawlessly off the bat.
Remove a power to the board & pull the CMOS battery out for a good 10 minutes mate.

Just to see , there's issues on the gigabyte forums regarding these boards

I highly doubt it's the CPU , like I said before ,you should get CPU fan & case fans running even if there was no CPU in the socket at all!!

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

Thanks! I can't stop now. I'll take the Cmos battery out. I literally just boxed everything up and was about to return to the MFG but will give this a shot. This and the new motherboard after that I'm throwing in the towel.

Thanks again for sticking it out with me!

Also do you mind sending me the gigabyte forum? Is that on this website?

Is your cpu power connector a 4 pin or an 8 pin? In your motherboard picture it looks like I can see some pins not connected to the power connector.

Another thing to try is to assemble everything outside of the case, on a non-conductive surface like cardboard. You can touch the 2 pins on the motherboard's front panel header corresponding with the front panel power button with a metal screwdriver for a couple of seconds to get it to power on. Perhaps the front panel switch or the wiring to it is bad.

Edit: I think I was looking at the cpu fan header area, not the cpu power connection. But my question as to 4 pin vs 8 pin remains.

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

CPU power connector is 8 pins. What you see unplugged is the front panel. I removed to jump the two pins that control power. Still dead. I tried to assemble it outside and still no luck. However I didn't do a couple of seconds I just did it for an instance. I'll try that. I'm getting desperate

Thanks for your advice!

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

So just the CPU and one stick of ram and try each slot while jumping the pins?

Didn't try that but will try it. Thanks

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

Already read the manual. I tested with two dimms per the recommendation of Gigabyte. 2nd and 4th dimm away from CPU. Still no luck. Will try the single dimm later

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

nothing lights up except for the ram in the video and the ps_sw button...

No diagnostics

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016

the board just booted, all fans are up,. all led lights came on. busy now but will pick it back up in 1 hour. The battery recommendation worked

THANK YOU!!!

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
I suppose step one is complete. There is power running to all of the components and the fans come on... Yay!

But now neither HDMI port work (integrated nor PCIE), the USB ports won't recognize the keyboard, and I essentially have a few pretty lights. A $2000 set of pretty lights...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3yVNDyFqOhKRnlYYkktQncwVXc/view?usp=sharing

Any idea how I can actually use the PC. Like maybe connect a display and keyboard and get it to actually function? Sorry I'm really deflated after 48 hours. appreciate your help!

Drop to a single stick of ram mate , I believe 2nd slot from the front is correct for a single stick.

Still no play, then try flipping the bios switch to bios 2/b (when the system is powered off)

I'll be honest after seeing all then issues on the GB forums etc I'm not sure the k5 & k7 are boards id use - they seem rife with problems.

mjslakeridge - CMOS reset has been seen to not do a damn thing on these boards when they appear dead , battery removal for between 10-30 minutes in the only thing that works.

Madmatt - didn't know that about those boards. I have the old school AM3+ Gigabyte and it has the clear CMOS jumpers, which I have never had to use. Updated the BIOS once when it was new to accept my FX6300, and haven't had to mess with anything since.

^ neither did I till I investigated , I have no idea why a CMOS reset button wouldn't have the same effect either.
There seems to be something sketchy about the gigabyte b350 & x370 boards for some people.
I also own an old 970 ud3p , its been the most rock solid PC component I've ever had hands down & it was a fairly budget option.
The k7 the op has is a $200 premium range board , there shouldn't honestly be any issues IMO at that price range, you should be able to drop your components in & go.
My first ryzen rig (& the one I own) I bought the cheapest full atx board & ddr4 ram there was & it just ran flawlessly off the bat.

Solution
When I was looking at the specs of the OP's board, I though "this thing is pretty sweet". Looks pretty nice too, although that doesn't matter to me as I use closed cases and never open them up except for cleaning or swapping out components.

Why do you think it was necessary to clear the CMOS to get everything to work? Perhaps they test it with a different CPU and now it sees a different CPU? I didn't download the manual to see if they suggest clearing the CMOS as one of the assembly steps.

camhops360

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
Quick update. I threw in the towel last night. I disassembled all components and just returned them.

After 3 days and being up until 3am I couldn't get this thing to function at all. I'm using this for business. If I can't get it running brand new I can only imagine if I have to fix while trying to do business with a client.

Instead I picked up an Alienware I7, 64gb or fam, 1gb PCI NVME, and Nvidia 1080TI 11gb.

It doesn't look as pretty, I'm giving up 4 cores, and I'm sure the hard drive will be slower (not Samsung) but it will be more productive than using a nice looking paper weight.

Thanks for your help guys! Sorry I couldn't stick it out longer but I had no more patience with this thing.