Ryzen temperature spikes in idle and weird power measure

krYshuT

Prominent
May 2, 2017
So I know this has been a long known issue on all manufacturer's boards, it's been discussed on other sites, not particularly here, so I wonder if after more than a year someone has some insight into this issue. I've been tuning a lot Ryzen processors (I am a PC builder) and all I could do to prevent temperature spiking is to limit Pstates to level 1 / 2 (1,6-2,4GHz) instead of Pstate 0. It's seen only in idle on my system (see image).
Image: AIDA64

Also I have a question on how power consumption is measured with Ryzen processors. There are 2 measurements that differ greatly:
"CPU Package Power (SMU)" and "CPU Core Power (SVI2 TFN)"
Can someone explain for me, please?
Image: HWinfo

Solution
Power consumption is merely an estimate based on clock speed of assorted cores and voltage applied/load of cpu's etc...

Folks tend to want to over-analyze every last bleep/blip on a graph, and worry that many very short momentary spikes upward in temp might be indicative of an issue, whereas many such indications are just 'normal'. As clock speeds can be altered 10-20 times per second, seeing spikes that might seem mysterious are really normal.

If your cpu is not running above actual 65-70C, or 80C overclocked.....use it.

krYshuT

Prominent
May 2, 2017
I hate a tower cooler (Fera 3) and it goes between 30-40°C, so I'm totally safe, but I'm curious anyway because it is a weird behaviour from AMD CPUs and I know it's specific as on the same system installation when I switch it for Intel platform, temperatures are more or less flat.

If you hear you fans rev up, just move the temp curve up to 50-55°C before fans starts to accelerate.

krYshuT

Prominent
May 2, 2017
I always set something like this:

Hhe1m6.jpg

Anyways, this is not a cooling or background app issue, this is specific AMD behavior, maybe a BIOS setting.

bskchaos

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Even on idle my 2700 would get to 50c, had to disable core performance boost to avoid such spikes, dropped to 40c (normal for the tropics). Should be few degrees lower, at some point I thought my gelid gc-extreme application was the problem and tried with AS5, was even worse. Will try Kryonaut this weekend.

Power consumption is merely an estimate based on clock speed of assorted cores and voltage applied/load of cpu's etc...

Folks tend to want to over-analyze every last bleep/blip on a graph, and worry that many very short momentary spikes upward in temp might be indicative of an issue, whereas many such indications are just 'normal'. As clock speeds can be altered 10-20 times per second, seeing spikes that might seem mysterious are really normal.

If your cpu is not running above actual 65-70C, or 80C overclocked.....use it.

Solution