[SOLVED] ryzen3400G, even 2933mhz ram speed crashes my games??

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
hi, does anybody have any ideas why i cant even get 2933 ram speed or above. all xmp 3200,3000,2933 modes crash as well in gaming. manually setting also crashes it, ive literally tried all different settings, 1.4v, loose timings, auto timings etc. Plz give me ideas what it could be??

3200xmp speed lasts 3 mins before crash, 3000 and 2933 xmp last about 5 mins before crash?
with, non-xmp 'auto' 2933 speed, it lasts about 30 mins before crash??

adata XPG Gammix D10 3200 Kit 2x8gb (sk hynix ramchips)
gigabyte a320m s2h a320 chipset latest bios
a2000 kingston 500gb nvme
ryzen 5 3400g
atng 400w psu
cit beam rgb case

thanks

Last edited:
Solution
The motherboard may support 3200(OC) but that doesn't mean the memory controller in your Ryzen processor does.

I think the 3400G supports up to 2933MHz. You might get it to run faster, but it may not be stable.

If it were me, I'd load the XMP 2.0 Profile in BIOS, and back the speed down to 2993. And verify that configuration is stable.

I'd use memtest86 at 2933MHz and verify no errors reported. If no errors, I'd can step up the speed in BIOS, and test again. Repeat until we get an error. And then back it down to the last stable speed.

(We could get deeper into the weeds tweaking voltages and timings, but I like to keep it simple. Just in case the tweaked BIOS settings get wiped out.)

It's not possible to determine from memtest86...

Lutfij

Titan
You should swap out that PSU ASAP! Also, what BIOS version are you working with right now? Can you maintain a frequency just under 2933? If so, then the limitation is either your board, the APU or the sticks of ram. Also, the A320 chipset shouldn't be allowing that much of a ram overclock either.

andyanderson

Commendable
Jul 1, 2020
You should swap out that PSU ASAP! Also, what BIOS version are you working with right now? Can you maintain a frequency just under 2933? If so, then the limitation is either your board, the APU or the sticks of ram. Also, the A320 chipset shouldn't be allowing that much of a ram overclock either.

BIOS version F52 1.0.0.6 agesa, latest bios.

mobo says it supports 3200mhz (oc).

i will try using all the xmp mode etc at 2900 and see how that goes, ill report back

Aug 22, 2020
The motherboard may support 3200(OC) but that doesn't mean the memory controller in your Ryzen processor does.

I think the 3400G supports up to 2933MHz. You might get it to run faster, but it may not be stable.

If it were me, I'd load the XMP 2.0 Profile in BIOS, and back the speed down to 2993. And verify that configuration is stable.

I'd use memtest86 at 2933MHz and verify no errors reported. If no errors, I'd can step up the speed in BIOS, and test again. Repeat until we get an error. And then back it down to the last stable speed.

(We could get deeper into the weeds tweaking voltages and timings, but I like to keep it simple. Just in case the tweaked BIOS settings get wiped out.)

It's not possible to determine from memtest86 errors, whether the problem is a particular component. Can't differentiate between problem with a memory module, the motherboard, the processor, or just an incompatibility or bad configuration (BIOS settings).

The infinity fabric in the Ryzen 3400G is linked to memory speed; the problem may not be the memory modules, or the motherboard. It might actually be you drew a dud in the Ryzen silicon lottery. First, verify the system is stable at the rated 2933MHz, before pressing your luck at higher RAM speeds.

I'm also wondering if the memory you have is a matched pair, and if the memory is on the QVL list with XMP verified (for the revision of the board (2.0?) for Raven Ridge processor.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS