Question Ryzen7800X3D high temperature peak

mohorab

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2014
Hi everyone,

I've just got my new Ryzen 7 7800X3D and i see some strange temperature peaks.

My configuration is:
- Ryzen 7 7800X3D - the thermal paste is the one that comes with the Scythe Fuma 3
- MB: Gigabyte B650 Gaming X - bios version FB
- PSU: SuperFlower Leadtext 3 650W
- Coller: Scythe Fuma 3 - with 2 fans
- Memories: Kit 2x16 GB Corsair VENGEANCE, AMD EXPO, (Product code: CMK32GX5M2E6000Z36)
- GPU: Powercollor Hellhound RX 7800 XT
- Case: an old Antec P280 case with fans:
  • Front: 2 Scythe Slipstream 120 mm, speed 1200
  • Top: 2 Scythe Slipstream 120 mm, speed 1200
  • Back: the stock fan of the case (Antec 2 fan i believe)
I've noticed if the Lord of the rings Return to Moria game that sometimes the CPU temp peaks up to 92C even if the load is 20%.
I have run same test:
- with Prime95 for about 8 and a half hours and the temps are around 66C. At the end i also started Unigine Heaven and I have noticed that this is the moment when the temps for the CPU peaks to around 85C
- Furmark - no temps pikes
- Unigine Heaven alone - no temps pikes

I have a few questions:
- do i have to worry about the temp pikes? I believe that are a little to high, with my old Intel CPU never had this kind of an issue.
- should i update the MB bios?
- should i change the case?! Will that help? I was thinking to get a Be quiet Pure Base 500DX
- should i try to re-paste the CPU?

I haven't done any OC or tuning to the CPU or GPU, it is all stock.

For me it looks like something isn't right but i don't know what to do.

Thank you very much.

Captures from HWMonitor and HWInfo

Last edited:

mohorab

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2014
I've tested it also in Diablo4 for about 3 and a half hours and the results are in the image bellow. The temps were up to 87C.

di3hK1m.jpg

And the GPU temps:
lvlilM1.jpg

Colif

Win 11 Master
The max temp of CPU before it thermal throttles is 89C so 87, while toasty, is safe still.

Case: an old Antec P280 case with fans:

should i change the case?! Will that help? I was thinking to get a Be quiet Pure Base 500DX

that would be an improvement over the one you have... how do you mount the 2 front fans? behind the drive mounts? or in front?

The Be quiet case at least lets parts breath https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/1854

case could be the answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

mohorab

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2014
The fans are mounted in front of the drive mounts.

I've ordered an Lian Li Lancool 216. When it will arrive i will be back with fresh info.

I also wanna do some more tests because i've read that there can be conflicts when multiple monitoring tools are used. I was using Hwinfo, HWmonitor and AMD Adrenalin overlay to check the CPU temps.

I will only monitor with HWinfo and see if this behavior still occures