Súper PC vs Maxed out iMac Pro

pablogaxiola35

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Hi, so I am a YouTuber and I have to update my PC loadout, I am a gamer, a blogger and a airsofter so I need the best choice for high end gaming and high end video editing and creating. This are my two choices

A personal PC build with this components:

•EVGA Super nova 1300
•Intel i9 7900X
•Asus Rampage VI Extreme
•TridentZ 8x8 3000
•Asus GTX 1080ti SLI
•Samsung Pro 960 M.2 512Gb
•Segatte 10tb
•Thermaltake 900 “The Tower”
•Razer Chroma Mouse,keyboard and mouse pad
•Two LG 4K frameless monitor
•Water cooling loop with: two 560 radiators, x8 140mm fan,RGB motherboard waterblock,hard tubing, x2 RGB reservoirs and RGB Fittings

Or

iMac Pro maxed out version (the one with highest specs and obviously highest price)

Solution
Hard to be 100%, as some of the specs seem a little bit off. However, from what I can tell (https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/), it looks like their base model uses the 6C/12T Xeon E5-1630 v3 (Apple may have over-rated the max Turbo & under-rated the L3 cache), with options for the 8C/16T E5-1680 v3 (again, max Turbo & L3 slightly off) or the 12C/24T E5-1686 v3 (this time slightly over-rated on base speed).

Those are all Haswell-EP (4th-generation) Xeon CPUs, so they're going to be older systems. What they do have, however, over the i9 CPUs (or the similar Skylake-W Xeon CPUs) is a lot more L3 cache (something like 2 to 3 times as much). But you can definitely build them cheaper than a Mac Pro.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Hard to be 100%, as some of the specs seem a little bit off. However, from what I can tell (https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/), it looks like their base model uses the 6C/12T Xeon E5-1630 v3 (Apple may have over-rated the max Turbo & under-rated the L3 cache), with options for the 8C/16T E5-1680 v3 (again, max Turbo & L3 slightly off) or the 12C/24T E5-1686 v3 (this time slightly over-rated on base speed).

Those are all Haswell-EP (4th-generation) Xeon CPUs, so they're going to be older systems. What they do have, however, over the i9 CPUs (or the similar Skylake-W Xeon CPUs) is a lot more L3 cache (something like 2 to 3 times as much). But you can definitely build them cheaper than a Mac Pro.

Solution

monomeeth

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018

The OP was actually asking about a maxed out iMac Pro, not a maxed out Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is indeed outdated now (Apple will probably replace this with a totally new modular Mac design this year).

The iMac Pro, on the other hand, is a totally new machine only available since mid-December 2017. So the OP is actually asking about a maxed out configuration that includes an 18-core Intel Xeon W processor, a Radeon Pro Vega 64 GPU with 16GB of HBM2 memory, a 4TB SSD, and 128GB of 2666MHz DDR4 ECC RAM.

teslacoilftw

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Mac's are good at "Graphics" of any kind....
A Good PC is good at pretty much anything else.... so you kind have to decide.. Are you a "gamer" or are you a "graphics designer" first...

Once you figure that out the choice is simple.