S3 Launches Energy-Efficient Graphics Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]invisik[/nom]dx10.1!!beat nvidia to it lol.xD[/citation]
nVidia never was going to get Direct-X 10.1,as they never needed to,if they would not adopt it,Microsoft would not make it a required update(and specifically,as ATi had the advantage,as their graphics cards were designed for DX10.1 and not DX10)

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
yeah had the very first S3 virge back in the day that was smokin it worked with 1 game & that was the game that came with the diamond Viper
it was 4MB wow those were the days. I can't remember what that game was that came with that card bit I do remember the card costing a lot...lol

G

its crap, you would do better if you buy laptop with integrated in chipset graphic card from ati/amd or nvidia, no problems with drivers much less compatibility issues, besides probably you will get better performance with those integrated graphic cards.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
Looks great. While these sub notebooks and netbooks were not designed for gamming there are certainly those who will want to watch HD videos on them and those that would like to game on them (light gaming, from time to time on the road) so if these GPUs don't raise prices to much they could be a huge boon to the designs that use them. Everyone wants their systems to be capable of doing anything even when they don't do everything with it.

G

Aragon, the ironic part is that those mini notebooks often come with such a tiny screens, that it's only possible to view Half HD at most (480p, and 576P at most on 1024x600 screens).

Like mentioned, this GPU is made for Mini-notebooks, where enough performance is necessary to do basic tasks and light 3D graphics, but where power saving is of primary concearn!
I can imagine mini-notebooks with this chip to be able to last 10 to 20 minutes longer on a 3,5hour charge!

To me the first mini notebook with a decent resolution (1280x768), 9" screen, and a full 6-8hour charge would be the perfect mini-notebook!
Some people are talking about creating laptops with a DAY's charge!
Companies like this only help in the process of reaching the goal of a Day (12 hours) long battery life on a notebook!
Eventhough these notebooks already exsist, they cost way too much.
An S3 card, perfectly capable of displaying nearly everything the non-gamer needs, will be a great alternative to intel's GMA945 and GMA950.

G

dear Evilshuriken, i had s3 savege4 some time ago. S3 = low quality of drivers, low performance, compatibility issues, shortly lots, lots of problems. My point is, that integrated graphic cards from ati or nvidia can do the same as those s3 discrete ones but without THE PROBLEMS, so there is no point to spend extra money for low quality s3 discrete graphic card when you get more for less buying ati/nvidia integrated solution.
you can argue only what is worse Intel integrated gpu or s3 discrete gpu...
by the way, as you can see, my ass is quite smart...
you should listen to it very carefully...
regards Evilshuriken

Status
Not open for further replies.