News Sabrent Rocket Prototype Gen 5 SSD Hits 14 GBps, Could Be World's Fastest

Jul 7, 2023
This is getting ridiculous. We're at the point where this is achieving greater bandwidth than the Wii u's memory interface which topped out at 12.6 GB/s (dual channel DDR3 800) you run 4 of these in RAID 0 (bad idea btw) and you get comparable bandwidth to dual channel ddr4 3200

Amdlova

Distinguished
Last build I have uses a adata blade s70... now I have a optane 900p 280gb. It's give 2000mb/s but that it's fast super fast.
With ssd I feel small stuttering on system with optane don't have. And that thing will last forever.

Li Ken-un

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
I have a optane 900p 280gb. It's give 2000mb/s but that it's fast super fast.
With ssd I feel small stuttering on system with optane don't have. And that thing will last forever.
2,000 MB/s is not how Optane works to make your system not stutter. You can find NAND-based SSDs that do 12,000 MB/s on the market now and which can muster 1.5 million IO/s.

The key advantage of Optane is the latency. It’s the only PCIe storage on the market that can sustain 320 ~ 460 MB/s random 4 KiB I/O at queue depth 1. It doesn’t matter what the generation. I’ve found P5800X to perform about the same as the older P4800X doing QD1 I/O. NAND has been behind by an entire order magnitude in this respect and it still is. That’s probably why you perceive stuttering.

If Intel had chosen to kneecap their Optanes by putting them behind an SATA interface… I would still buy them. After all, the random I/O latency is the unique selling point of the media—not sequential throughput or IOps. Although the P5800X manages an impressive 5 million IOps and could probably do more if not limited by the host.

TRENDING THREADS