[SOLVED] Sabrent Rocket Q8001,5GB critical health after half year of usage.

DJWarpen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
Hello! During weekend my windows froze pretty much completely so I restarted it after that I couldnt get windows to load and even windows startup repair loading was very slow and sluggish. But then somehow I got my window to load
at first it took like 20 minutes for all programs to start up after windows had loaded, had to reinstall chrome because chrome couldnt load any pages any longer, and some other weird little software glitches appeared otherwise my computer seems to work pretty normally now.
I checked SSD health with Sabrent's own software but it shows that SSD has 100% health but both Crystaldiskinfoand HDD sentinel both has warning that my SSD health is at 8percent(at 5percent week later). All other smart attributes seems perfect except,
ID05: percentage Used(RAW VALUE "0000000000005c". My SSD has only total of 11TB's written and power on hours at 3.5k. What could be wrong with this drive? Should I believe sabrent's own software instead of those?
Exported from Crystaldisk https://mega.nz/file/bM9R0KYC#lx8Mi2d5j_dSMznkaz-2OJmX7QKxle1cxL19vBQLqUQ

seatools fails short test at same percantage is it normal?

Last edited:
Solution
The drive in the following review has the same firmware version. However its SMART data make sense :-?

https://www.legitreviews.com/sabrent-rocket-q-8tb-ssd-review-m-2-2280-goes-8tb_219556/2

Strangely, the drive reports a lower capacity (7681.4 GB / 7153 GB). That's 4% less than yours. I expect that if you optimize such a drive in Windows, you will see it being reported as "thin provisioned".

What does CrystalDiskInfo now show for Percentage Used? Is it 0x5F? That would correspond to 95%.

Lutfij

Titan
I've seen a couple of Sabrent SSD's fail similar to what you're experiencing. Using Sabrent's Control Panel app, does the SSD have any firmware updates pending? I doubt that the drive would respond well to it now but you could give it a try though I'd bring Sabrent and your seller into the picture, courtesy of an email and see if you can initiate an RMA or that they might have a workaround.

As a side note, what is the make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? You're on Windows 11, prior to this sluggishness, did you experience any other anomalies?

DJWarpen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
I've seen a couple of Sabrent SSD's fail similar to what you're experiencing. Using Sabrent's Control Panel app, does the SSD have any firmware updates pending? I doubt that the drive would respond well to it now but you could give it a try though I'd bring Sabrent and your seller into the picture, courtesy of an email and see if you can initiate an RMA or that they might have a workaround.

As a side note, what is the make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? You're on Windows 11, prior to this sluggishness, did you experience any other anomalies?
I have ryzen 1800 and mobo Crosshair VI hero, I dont understand what that percentage used actually means as other smart stats are perfect and now its still at least working. I was 100% sure when windows couldn't boot my drive died, but its still somehow working, I installed windows 11 update but Im afraid to restart pc because I fear that my ssd dies during restart.

And slugginesh happened after windows froze over during weekend plus couple of software glitches after waiting half n hour for windows to load. I wonder how data isnt corrupt after that? :/

The percentage used is defined as follows:

Percentage Used:

Contains a vendor specific estimate of the percentage of NVM subsystem life used based on the actual usage and the manufacturer’s prediction of NVM life. A value of 100 indicates that the estimated endurance of the NVM in the NVM subsystem has been consumed, but may not indicate an NVM subsystem failure. The value is allowed to exceed 100. Percentages greater than 254 shall be represented as 255. This value shall be updated once per power-on hour (when the controller is not in a sleep state).

A value of 0x5C corresponds to 92 in decimal, so 92% used corresponds to 8% available life left.

The Available Spare value is 0x64 = 100, so there is nothing wrong here.

The Data Units Written is 0x14D5D90. The NVMe standard reports this number in units of 1000 x 512 bytes.

0x14D5D90 x 1000 x 512 bytes = 10 417.67 GiB = 10.17 TiB​

As I see it, there is a firmware bug.

DJWarpen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
The percentage used is defined as follows:

A value of 0x5C corresponds to 92 in decimal, so 92% used corresponds to 8% available life left.

The Available Spare value is 0x64 = 100, so there is nothing wrong here.

The Data Units Written is 0x14D5D90. The NVMe standard reports this number in units of 1000 x 512 bytes.

0x14D5D90 x 1000 x 512 bytes = 10 417.67 GiB = 10.17 TiB​

As I see it, there is a firmware bug.

So this might just be a firmware bug?

DJWarpen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
That's what it looks like to me. I'm wondering whether the firmware will throttle the drive's performance after it hits 100% percentage used.
I bought this from ebay as a new listing tho guy had over 100 5 star reviews and still has 5 star ratings. could it be possible to reset nvme drive's smart? as ive read that some people on reddit bought sata ssd off of ebay listed as new but was actually used.

The drive in the following review has the same firmware version. However its SMART data make sense :-?

https://www.legitreviews.com/sabrent-rocket-q-8tb-ssd-review-m-2-2280-goes-8tb_219556/2

Strangely, the drive reports a lower capacity (7681.4 GB / 7153 GB). That's 4% less than yours. I expect that if you optimize such a drive in Windows, you will see it being reported as "thin provisioned".

What does CrystalDiskInfo now show for Percentage Used? Is it 0x5F? That would correspond to 95%.

Last edited:
Solution

DJWarpen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013

My drive seems to still be working at 5% health after 1 week later or 2 weeks later when the crash happened hmmm