[SOLVED] safe alternative to M471A1K43BB0

Nov 1, 2020
this thread is posted with explicit permission of Rogue Leader.

i need to top up my ram.

ideally i dont want to replace my current modules, which are working perfectly fine. im therefore looking for suggestions to safe alternatives to samsung M471A1K43BB0, which i have in my laptop atm. i need something that is safe, will play well with the ram i already have and wont fry my laptop in the process.

please dont comment on ram compatibility issues, im well aware of that. if your only suggestion is to bin the existing modules, im already well aware of this option, please dont repeat it.

im only looking for (preferably) empirically supported suggestions of alternatives.

p.s. 8gb is the minimum size module i need to buy, but if its safe id gladly go for a bigger one.

Solution
Yes, sold by whomever, Fulfilled by Amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Samsung-PC4-21300-2666MHz-SODIMM-Memory/dp/B07F6N8L3S
"Sold by DataramEU and Fulfilled by Amazon. For Returns, please check the seller link. "

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Samsung-DDR4-PC4-260-Pin-SODIMM-19-21300-2666-MHz/dp/B07F6HBK1N
Sold by AH.DIREKT and Fulfilled by Amazon. For Returns, please check the seller link.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Replacement-Samsung-SO-DIMM-Memory-M471A1K43BB0-CPB/dp/B07JFSGKJ3
Sold by PCBUFALOTTA and Fulfilled by Amazon. For Returns, please check the seller link.

Sometimes you have to take what you can get.

I am absolutely unfamilar with whatever other purchasing...
Unfortunately, there are NO "empirically supported" suggestions of alternatives because even if you bough the EXACT SAME memory module, it might not play nice with the one you have. SO the answer to your question as to whether there is an "empirically supported" memory module that will be 100% compatible, and has no chance of not being compatible, is no, there is not. And there will never be. Even if you had two memory modules with identical part numbers that came from the EXACT SAME production run at the same manufacturing facility, they might not always be capable of playing nice together. This IS simply an inherent part of the semiconductor industry.

This is WHY manufacturers TEST memory before packaging it together in kits AND it is also why they will not ever GUARANTEE that ANY memory products will work together if you buy them separately.

Here is your "empirical" proof that even if you bought the exact same part number, there would STILL be a chance that they would not play nice together AND furthermore, even if there are ZERO differences between them, and all onboard components are the same, and they come from the same production run, there are still sometimes differences in the ICs that might account for some unforeseen incompatibility, again, that's why there is testing to ensure compatibility before products are packaged and sent out.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-ram-compatibility.3210050/#post-19785792

That being said, there are MANY DIMMs out there that will PROBABLY work fine with yours, based on a couple of things. One, that all of the specifications are as close as can be easily identified to be, with each other. Two, any DDR4 memory module that is of low enough speed to be within the JEDEC specifications, at speeds of 2666mhz or less for desktop memory or any JEDEC compatible notebook memory, which are the same speed and have very similar specifications, are PROBABLY going to work fine together. Memory that conforms to the JEDEC guidelines and is certified as such with an onboard profile for that speed, will usually have very good compatibility with other, similar products. That still doesn't guarantee anything, but it certainly greatly increases the probability of compatibility between sticks OR of the motherboard's ability to FIND and define a set of secondary and tertiary timings that will work together well enough to ensure that they play nice together and remain stable under a variety of circumstances.

In this case, your memory module, contrary to what you've claimed previously, is widely available, and is your best chance for adding memory without issues. I'm not sure why you need to look at anything else unless there are cost related roadblocks based on the capabilities of your budget. What region are you in and what are you wanting or able to spend on an additional DIMM?

It also seems as though the part number you supplied is only PART of the actual model of your memory product. There does appear to be additional identifiers that may come after the M471A1K43BB0 designation, potentially. If you are going strictly off the sticker on the product, it might be advisable to download CPU-Z, install it, open it, click on the SPD tab and then select the DIMM slot from the top left drop down menu where you have it installed. Look at the "part number" field and report back with exactly what is listed there, if it is any different from what you reported previously.

Reactions: Barty1884
Nov 1, 2020
Unfortunately, there are NO "empirically supported" suggestions of alternatives because even if you bough the EXACT SAME memory module, it might not play nice with the one you have. SO the answer to your question as to whether there is an "empirically supported" memory module that will be 100% compatible, and has no chance of not being compatible, is no, there is not. And there will never be. Even if you had two memory modules with identical part numbers that came from the EXACT SAME production run at the same manufacturing facility, they might not always be capable of playing nice together. This IS simply an inherent part of the semiconductor industry.

This is WHY manufacturers TEST memory before packaging it together in kits AND it is also why they will not ever GUARANTEE that ANY memory products will work together if you buy them separately.

Here is your "empirical" proof that even if you bought the exact same part number, there would STILL be a chance that they would not play nice together AND furthermore, even if there are ZERO differences between them, and all onboard components are the same, and they come from the same production run, there are still sometimes differences in the ICs that might account for some unforeseen incompatibility, again, that's why there is testing to ensure compatibility before products are packaged and sent out.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-ram-compatibility.3210050/#post-19785792

That being said, there are MANY DIMMs out there that will PROBABLY work fine with yours, based on a couple of things. One, that all of the specifications are as close as can be easily identified to be, with each other. Two, any DDR4 memory module that is of low enough speed to be within the JEDEC specifications, at speeds of 2666mhz or less for desktop memory or any JEDEC compatible notebook memory, which are the same speed and have very similar specifications, are PROBABLY going to work fine together. Memory that conforms to the JEDEC guidelines and is certified as such with an onboard profile for that speed, will usually have very good compatibility with other, similar products. That still doesn't guarantee anything, but it certainly greatly increases the probability of compatibility between sticks OR of the motherboard's ability to FIND and define a set of secondary and tertiary timings that will work together well enough to ensure that they play nice together and remain stable under a variety of circumstances.

In this case, your memory module, contrary to what you've claimed previously, is widely available, and is your best chance for adding memory without issues. I'm not sure why you need to look at anything else unless there are cost related roadblocks based on the capabilities of your budget. What region are you in and what are you wanting or able to spend on an additional DIMM?

It also seems as though the part number you supplied is only PART of the actual model of your memory product. There does appear to be additional identifiers that may come after the M471A1K43BB0 designation, potentially. If you are going strictly off the sticker on the product, it might be advisable to download CPU-Z, install it, open it, click on the SPD tab and then select the DIMM slot from the top left drop down menu where you have it installed. Look at the "part number" field and report back with exactly what is listed there, if it is any different from what you reported previously.

thanks for your reply, its very detailed and helpful.

i dont care about pricing. i do need the supplier to be reputable and based in the eu, tho.

this is the (hopefully) complete part number returned by dmidecode: M471A1K43BB0-CPB (all three are identical according to the output).

it is not available in the eu afaict. at least i cannot find it on any of the reputable sellers i know of here.

Nov 1, 2020
"it is not available in the eu afaict. "

amazon.de would seem to be in the EU.
And there were others. Some Fulfilled by Amazon.

do you mind sharing what you searched for? this is what i get on amazon on my side (it doesnt let me paste a screenshot, sorry for the wall of text):

1-24 of 78 results for "M471A1K43BB0-CPB"
Sort by: Featured Price: Low to High Price: High to Low Avg. Customer Review Newest Arrivals Sort by:Featured

Skip to main search results

Showing results from All Departments
No results for M471A1K43BB0-CPB in Computers & Accessories

Samsung M471A1G43DB0-CPB - 8GB DDR4 PC4 17000 2133MHz SoDimm Single Module
4.6 out of 5 stars 78
More buying choices
€59.90 (1 new offer)

Samsung 8GB DDR4 2133 CL15, 1.2 V, M471 A1K43BB0 CPB
3.9 out of 5 stars 24
More buying choices
€79.90 (1 new offer)

Amazon's Choice
DDR4 SODIMM Parent SKU Set
4.8 out of 5 stars 504
More buying choices
€34.99 (3 new offers)

Crucial CT8G4SFS8266 8GB Memory (DDR4, 2666MT / s, PC4-21300, Single Rank x8, SODIMM, 260-Pin)
4.8 out of 5 stars 31,385
More buying choices
€42.22 (18 new offers)

Corsair CMSO8GX4M1A2133C15 Value Select 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4 2133 MHz CL15 Mainstream SODIMM Notebook Memory Module - Black
4.8 out of 5 stars 4,308
More buying choices
€32.22 (26 new offers)

FMS Replacement for Samsung 8GB DDR3 2133 SO-DIMM Memory M471A1K43BB0-CPB
More buying choices
€49.99 (2 new offers)

Nov 1, 2020
do you mind sharing what you searched for? this is what i get on amazon on my side (it doesnt let me paste a screenshot, sorry for the wall of text):

1-24 of 78 results for "M471A1K43BB0-CPB"
Sort by: Featured Price: Low to High Price: High to Low Avg. Customer Review Newest Arrivals Sort by:Featured

Skip to main search results

Showing results from All Departments
No results for M471A1K43BB0-CPB in Computers & Accessories

Samsung M471A1G43DB0-CPB - 8GB DDR4 PC4 17000 2133MHz SoDimm Single Module
4.6 out of 5 stars 78
More buying choices
€59.90 (1 new offer)

Samsung 8GB DDR4 2133 CL15, 1.2 V, M471 A1K43BB0 CPB
3.9 out of 5 stars 24
More buying choices
€79.90 (1 new offer)

Amazon's Choice
DDR4 SODIMM Parent SKU Set
4.8 out of 5 stars 504
More buying choices
€34.99 (3 new offers)

Crucial CT8G4SFS8266 8GB Memory (DDR4, 2666MT / s, PC4-21300, Single Rank x8, SODIMM, 260-Pin)
4.8 out of 5 stars 31,385
More buying choices
€42.22 (18 new offers)

Corsair CMSO8GX4M1A2133C15 Value Select 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4 2133 MHz CL15 Mainstream SODIMM Notebook Memory Module - Black
4.8 out of 5 stars 4,308
More buying choices
€32.22 (26 new offers)

FMS Replacement for Samsung 8GB DDR3 2133 SO-DIMM Memory M471A1K43BB0-CPB
More buying choices
€49.99 (2 new offers)

more buying choices is code for not sold by amazon. the rest of the results is no different on my end.

USAFRet

Titan

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Samsung-PC4-21300-2666MHz-SODIMM-Memory/dp/B07F6N8L3S
"Sold by DataramEU and Fulfilled by Amazon. For Returns, please check the seller link. "

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Samsung-DDR4-PC4-260-Pin-SODIMM-19-21300-2666-MHz/dp/B07F6HBK1N
Sold by AH.DIREKT and Fulfilled by Amazon. For Returns, please check the seller link.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Replacement-Samsung-SO-DIMM-Memory-M471A1K43BB0-CPB/dp/B07JFSGKJ3
Sold by PCBUFALOTTA and Fulfilled by Amazon. For Returns, please check the seller link.

I am absolutely unfamilar with whatever other purchasing sources you may have locally.

Solution
Nov 1, 2020
DDR4 SODIMM == DDR4 SODIMM.
And those pics were from different sides of the PCB, so the slot is nearer the other end.

i dont understand what you mean by that.
i have two pictures in my results page i posted above that seem to be to scale (meaning they seem to both be scaled the same).

in one case the split is 2.5cm from the side, in the other its 1.8cm from the side. i dont understand how that wouldnt matter.

USAFRet

Titan
i dont understand what you mean by that.
i have two pictures in my results page i posted above that seem to be to scale (meaning they seem to both be scaled the same).

in one case the split is 2.5cm from the side, in the other its 1.8cm from the side. i dont understand how that wouldnt matter.
If those were accurate actual pics, one of them is the wrong pic.
It happens.

If it is sold as DDR4, and the key split is wrong...it isn't DDR4.
If the actual product you get in the box is correct, the pic is wrong.

Nov 1, 2020

I am absolutely unfamilar with whatever other purchasing sources you may have locally.

ok, now i see how you got more options than i did. two of these have different part numbers, and the last one, which has the same part #, isnt sold by amazon.

but thank you! i guess, i'll order the last one. fulfilled by amazon is better than nothing at all. :)

Nov 1, 2020
Just like we sometimes see a pic of a hard drive, with the platter and arm actually showing.
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Blue-4TB-SATA-Hard-Drive/dp/B087QTVCHH

Obviously, the drive does not come like that.

sorry, idk what this is in reference to. are you talking about the wrong pictures? thats a different matter imo, the slit doesnt physically move regardless of whether the module is in the socket or retail packaging.

its very frustrating not being able to post a picture, but here are the picture dimensions. all modules are 5.3cm long and 2.2cm high on the pictures. which to me seems to indicate that scale is identical. in one case the the short side is 1.8cm long + 0.1cm split + 3.4cm long extended side. in the other picture dimensions are 2.4 + .1 + 2.8cm. and while measuring something off scaled pictures off of a laptop screen can never be precise, difference shouldnt be this large everything else being equal.

Last edited:
If it's a DDR4 SODIMM then physically it is the same. Different physical slot locations on DDR4 SODIMMs, aren't a thing. So if it's a DDR4 SODIMM, and yours is a DDR4 SODIMM, then physically it is the same. Period.

As to the compatibility, literally, any of these will have just as much chance of being compatible as if you bought another exactly the same as what you already have. And, generally speaking, laptops tend to be a lot more forgiving of disparity between modules as long as you are not trying to run something outside the speed supported by the device.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#U=4&t=15&S=2133,5100&Z=8192001&L=150&sort=price&page=1

In truth, you would (Yes, I know you already know this) be a LOT better off in terms of reducing any likelihood of compatibility by simply getting a matched set and selling off your current part(s) but if you're not willing or able to do that then those DIMMs listed SHOULD have just as much chance of working since they are the same speed and latency as your existing memory, as anything else, including another stick of the same part number. Obviously, or at least, it should be obvious, it probably is STILL usually a good idea to try and stick with the same part number when possible only so that other variables not listed or available to the average person might be minimized, in theory, but in reality it probably doesn't even make all that much difference.

When it comes to laptops, I've rarely had any troubles at all with mixing memory so long as they were the right speed and type, unlike with a lot of desktop platforms.

Nov 1, 2020
If it's a DDR4 SODIMM then physically it is the same. Different physical slot locations on DDR4 SODIMMs, aren't a thing. So if it's a DDR4 SODIMM, and yours is a DDR4 SODIMM, then physically it is the same. Period.

As to the compatibility, literally, any of these will have just as much chance of being compatible as if you bought another exactly the same as what you already have. And, generally speaking, laptops tend to be a lot more forgiving of disparity between modules as long as you are not trying to run something outside the speed supported by the device.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#U=4&t=15&S=2133,5100&Z=8192001&L=150&sort=price&page=1

In truth, you would (Yes, I know you already know this) be a LOT better off in terms of reducing any likelihood of compatibility by simply getting a matched set and selling off your current part(s) but if you're not willing or able to do that then those DIMMs listed SHOULD have just as much chance of working since they are the same speed and latency as your existing memory, as anything else, including another stick of the same part number. Obviously, or at least, it should be obvious, it probably is STILL usually a good idea to try and stick with the same part number when possible only so that other variables not listed or available to the average person might be minimized, in theory, but in reality it probably doesn't even make all that much difference.

When it comes to laptops, I've rarely had any troubles at all with mixing memory so long as they were the right speed and type, unlike with a lot of desktop platforms.

heh, this is driving me up the proverbial wall. i noticed that another poster on the site was able to attach a picture from smth called imgur, i hope this works for me, too.

this is what im talking about. to me it says those are two completely different things. despite both saying ddr4 sodimm in description and title. and sorry for posting crucial in the second picture, i couldnt find samsung in the right orientation. but crucials dimensions are what i actually need according to samsungs website.

View: https://imgur.com/a/F8upGAz

p.s. now that i look closely enough, they also seem to sport different number of pins, although im physically incapable of counting those.

Nov 1, 2020
And the incorrect pic on the listing may have been just an incorrect pic.

Actual DDR4 WILL fit, no matter what the pic in the listing shows.

ok, for a layman, what are you saying, tho? is samsung in the picture ddr4 or not ddr4? leaving aside the actual product, what is depicted here in this screenshot?

heh, this is driving me up the proverbial wall. i noticed that another poster on the site was able to attach a picture from smth called imgur, i hope this works for me, too.

this is what im talking about. to me it says those are two completely different things. despite both saying ddr4 sodimm in description and title. and sorry for posting crucial in the second picture, i couldnt find samsung in the right orientation. but crucials dimensions are what i actually need according to samsungs website.

View: https://imgur.com/a/F8upGAz

p.s. now that i look closely enough, they also seem to sport different number of pins, although im physically incapable of counting those.
One of those is likely DDR3 while the other is DDR4. Just because it is an SODIMM doesn't mean it is the SAME TYPE of SODIMM. There are DDR2 SODIMMs which are 200 pin, DDR3 SODIMMs which are 204 pin and DDR4 SODIMMs which are 260 pin. There are no other "pin configurations" of DDR4 SODIMM that I am aware of, heard of, seen or read about.

On ALL marketplace, retail and online vendor sites, there are ALWAYS a variety of problems with pictures not being accurate to the product. Not only that, but RARELY are the reviews for any product on Amazon, actually for THAT specific product, because they use reviews from any number of different or similar but not same products sold by that same marketplace seller or manufacturer, for any given product. You can OFTEN find reviews for one product in the reviews for three or four other products sold by the same retailer or made by the same manufacturer. They also OFTEN use generic images for a variety of products. Amazon rarely vets these listings for accuracy. Other sites like Ebay rarely do either.