[SOLVED] Safe DIY Quarantine ways of eliminating GPU SAG?

Apr 5, 2020
Title ^
So im not really bothered by the sag other than the fact that at 75% fanspeed the gpu starts making a loud ish screeching/grinding noise what i found is that gpu sag is the most likely cause of this but right now i dont really have a bracket or anything "official" to fix the sag so yeah.

GPU msi rtx 2070 super ventus

Last edited:
Solution
Assuming you don't own a 3d printer nor have the facilities for fabrication, no, there is not.

You can however, order them, online, like everybody else. Newegg and just about everybody except for Amazon is still filling orders for tech and hardware accessories.

It would be possible to create a "kickstand" style support assembly using two pieces of allthread and an expansion sleeve, but that would still require the purchase of materials that are likely to exceed what you could order one for online anyhow.

This one, from Amazon, shows delivery available as soon as Sunday. I'm sure there are many others, through Newegg and other retailers, for similar prices, with similar delivery expectations...
Assuming you don't own a 3d printer nor have the facilities for fabrication, no, there is not.

You can however, order them, online, like everybody else. Newegg and just about everybody except for Amazon is still filling orders for tech and hardware accessories.

It would be possible to create a "kickstand" style support assembly using two pieces of allthread and an expansion sleeve, but that would still require the purchase of materials that are likely to exceed what you could order one for online anyhow.

This one, from Amazon, shows delivery available as soon as Sunday. I'm sure there are many others, through Newegg and other retailers, for similar prices, with similar delivery expectations.

https://www.amazon.com/upHere-Graph...-Aluminum/dp/B076GYL25H/?tag=akshatblog198-20

Solution
My GPU was sagging and it was causing the bus to run at 4x instead of 16x. I used the plastic piece that my desk had for the hole where the cable goes through on my desk. It's a rectangle plastic piece that fits perfectly under my gpu touching the side of the GPU and rising it a bit. Fixed my issue.

Some people use figurines. Some people use strings attached to it. Some people use legit anti-sag stuff. It's up to you really.

Reactions: Phaaze88
I don't see any way you could use ANY of that stuff, except maybe string, unless you were using the lowest PCI slot, which is NOT the intended slot for single card use on ANY motherboard in existence.

Generally speaking, there's about 7-8 inches of space between the lowest point on the graphics card and the bottom of the case. That a long distance for a piece of cable grommet or a figurine to reach. I'm pretty skeptical of that possibility.

A piece of allthread from Lowes or any hardware store, plus two plastic threaded sleeve ends like seen below, is a cheap fix, but it may likely end up costing more than simply ordering the item I linked earlier.

oFJ57Q9.jpg

I don't see any way you could use ANY of that stuff, except maybe string, unless you were using the lowest PCI slot, which is NOT the intended slot for single card use on ANY motherboard in existence.

Generally speaking, there's about 7-8 inches of space between the lowest point on the graphics card and the bottom of the case. That a long distance for a piece of cable grommet or a figurine to reach. I'm pretty skeptical of that possibility.

It really doesn't matter how much space there is between your GPU and the lowest point. I have a PSU shroud and the space between is around 4 inches. You just have to jam something under the gpu whatever the space. I even saw a full sized sculpture of a dragon with the side of the GPU in it's mouth. These one down below (click on it there is more than just 1 picture) might be funny but they work too. I would obviously recommend buying a real anti-sag but if you're stuck with the stuff at home you can literally use anything you have.

View: https://imgur.com/a/cJ6P2Gz

True, you can. I'd try to avoid using anything metallic in nature at the contact points though. Just to be safe.

And while I'd admit that there are a lot of things that COULD work, I also have to make it clear that in life in general there are a lot of things you COULD do, that you really shouldn't. Not because it won't "work", but because it (Whatever IT, is) could have unintended consequences. You know, disclaimer type rednecking.

True, you can. I'd try to avoid using anything metallic in nature at the contact points though. Just to be safe.

And while I'd admit that there are a lot of things that COULD work, I also have to make it clear that in life in general there are a lot of things you COULD do, that you really shouldn't. Not because it won't "work", but because it (Whatever IT, is) could have unintended consequences. You know, disclaimer type rednecking.

I totally agree with you. If you use a homemade anti-sag use your head and think and don't shove a fork inside the fan and call it quit.

O_O
That is a thing... wow. Nice to know, thank you.
My gpu doesn't exhibit that yet after 3 years, but it's just a normal 2 slot card.

Those massive heatsinks though...

When I built my new PC a month ago I moved my GPU from my old PC and I did not remember at all that it was doing that in my old PC too. That massive heatsink on the msi gaming x was sagging my gpu way too much and the connectors was probably moving and not touching some of the PCIe slot connectors. You add the fact that the x570 Aorus Elite motherboard chipset is right in the way of the GPU and the heatsink touch the chipset heatsink a little bit just enough to seems like the GPU don't wanna go inside the slot correctly. That + the sag was enough for the bus to drop to 4x and sometime 8x but never 16x. That plastic thing fixed the issue in a minute. 16x now been a month and that thing didn't fling itself yet in the case.

My EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra gaming is huge, but it doesn't sag at all. Even with the additional weight of the EVGA Powerlink attached to it. Some of it likely has to do with the rigidity of the card itself and the back I/O panel as well. Some is just weight and length, which is unavoidable without additional support.

For sure. No doubt. The fact is though that MOST cards are only of the dual fan variety and a lot of them these days ARE triple slot cards. They tend to be shorter and I like that they are because it does help with the sag problems. I expect to see this trend continue and in time it may even further shrink the need for larger cards. For now though, I think this thread has given the op plenty of food for thought.

Run the power cables in from above and twist tie them behind the mobo so they're taught.
DON'T RUN THE POWER CABLE LIKE THIS:
aBFwMc0l.jpg

Toilet paper tubes are pretty rich these days, no?

Legos..

Anything non-conductive. Especially since you may not be able to fix it securely inside the case to prevent it from sliding out from under the GPU.

Toilet paper tubes are pretty rich these days, no?

LOL. I didn't even think of that, but in a manner of speaking, yeah, they sort of are. Although, you could just as well say that they are worth nothing without the paper on them.

As for the legos, a small dab of super glue, silicone caulking, hot glue or something similar would be pretty much all you'd need to stop a stack of legos from any potential chance of "walking" out from under the graphics card.