Safe Moderate Overclock GTX 980

MrPirateHD

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
Hi, I have a GTX 980 MSI GAMING TWIN FROZR. When I first overclocked I decided against it cause I manged to get to +225 on the core (1490mhz) and 1516 mhz boost but it was at 1560 something in valley. I was wondering what would be considered a safe overclock with no over volting and will still make the card last 2 years. (I will probably end up getting a new graphics card when it comes out but just in case I don't) Currently I have it on 110% Power at 110+ core thanks for the help guys in advance!

Solution
I would start lower, say +50... And with GPU boost higher isn't always better, you're mainly aiming for the highest stable boost clock not base clock. Search around online for a GPU Boost 2.0 overclocking guide if you're not really understanding anything, I had no clue what I was doing going from the classic way of overclocking a GPU to overclocking with GPU Boost, the guides really help.

Lmah

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Anything should be safe as long as you're not modding the bios to over clock it, it has built in safe limits. Just do some testing and see which clocks are stable with no artifacts.

Lmah

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I would start lower, say +50... And with GPU boost higher isn't always better, you're mainly aiming for the highest stable boost clock not base clock. Search around online for a GPU Boost 2.0 overclocking guide if you're not really understanding anything, I had no clue what I was doing going from the classic way of overclocking a GPU to overclocking with GPU Boost, the guides really help.

Solution