Question Safe OC settings for Ryzen 7 3700x with stock cooler

mikevm14

Commendable
Nov 13, 2019
Hi. I recently built a rig with the specs I listed. First off I am not good with BIOs and OC settings. The PC store (they assembled the rig and put in the BIOS settings) I got all my parts just told me to just leave the BIOS as is. But when I did a benchmark I saw that my Processor / RAM / Video Card were all running way below as expected. I ran the benchmark at Userbenchmark. I somehow figured out the settings made by the PC store did not optimize my parts. I usually just select the set Eco/ Default / OC settings in the BIOS for my older Rigs. For my new rig I am over whelmed with the many settings in the BIOS and only managed to see an XMP setting to activate which changed the speed of the RAM from 2314 to 3000. I looked for guides to properly setup the OC but I am so confused with all the terms and settings. I decided to just use the App that came with my motherboard and updated everything. I ran another benchmark and got much better results BM results I am just still bothered even with the good review there were notes in the performance that my processor and video card are performing way below expected.

I hope someone can help me fully optimize my OC settings preferably manual settings in the Bios. I also noticed that every time I reboot the App Center reverts to default and have to run the Smartboost Auto tuning again. If possible can someone provide a step by step guide for the Bios settings. I am very sorry to ask too much info and spoon feeding. I would want to optimize my settings to run at a minimum of 4.1 GHZ for the processor and proper settings for my RAM to run smooth with the processor and if it is also possible with the stock cooler that came with the processor. I am quite nervous changing the settings in the BIOS as it might damage the RAM and processor and void my warranty.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.6/4.4 GHZ
MoBo: AM4 Gigabyte x750 Aorus Elite
Video card: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super gaming OC 8gb
RAM: Gskill Trident Z 16gb x2 DDR4 3000 CL 16
Power supply: Seasonic Focus+ 750w 80+ gold full modular
OS Win 10 pro
App settings

So, with Ryzen 3xxx series CPU's, they are pretty much maxed out. Although there is a little OC headroom, there isn't much there. You can certainly hit an all core OC of 4.0/4.2ghz, but that is actually worse performance in many tasks, than simply using PBO, or the Auto OC feature. Specially for gaming, where single core speed matters most. So in a lot of cases, it's better to allow PBO and auto OC do it's thing, than OC all core to a lesser speed.

Here's a good OC'ing guide to start with: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

Great for beginners to learn how to do it right.

Whilst we can give guidelines on what settings to use, only you can determine how far to push YOUR CPU. All chips are different and settings that work on one, may not on another. You have to do some work here. They key is to test for stability along the way, to ensure the results you get are sustainable and repeatable.

Reactions: mikevm14
Hi. I recently built a rig with the specs I listed. First off I am not good with BIOs and OC settings.

As Keith12 says, AMD's pretty much maxed out what the processor can do by way of overclocking. And the way it works with the boosting is it overclocks itself as far as it can under light, bursty loads then dials back the clocks and voltage as load and temperature rises up to keep it stable. Very cool!

What you CAN do, and it's really quite safe and easy, is first make sure you've got the latest BIOS, one with AGESA 1003abba or preferably 1004b. Then make sure you've got the latest AMD chipset drivers for your chipset. Download them only from AMD's website to make sure they're the latest.

THEN, once that's all settled, you can enable PBO in the BIOS. It's probably a sub-option under a menu called Advance CPU Options or something like that. Then make sure you're set these options as shown:
  • Global C-state Control = Enabled
  • Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
  • CPPC = Enabled
  • CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
  • AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
  • PPC Adjustment = PState 0
That is pretty much it...all these settings do is enable the boosting to work as best it can for your motherboard. If you get really adventurous you can set the PBO boosting limits out to max...that's PPT, TDC and EDC.

Finally, you could play a little bit with VCore voltage offset...only offset never over-ride. Make only slight changes as that's all that's needed. Too high of a positive offset can drive VCore above the 1.5V max at light loads, and too low of a negative offset can make the CPU slow clock speeds.

Easily the biggest help, though, would be a bigger/better cooler. The boosting pulls back when temperature gets above 75-80C, so keep it cool and it boosts longer.

Good luck.

mikevm14

Commendable
Nov 13, 2019
Thank you so much for the replies @drea.drechsler and @keith12 !! I'll make sure to follow the info you provided. I uninstalled the EasyTune app that I installed with the Gigabyte Aorus App center to make sure it doesn't mess up any settings that you suggested.

Really appreciate the help.