Question Safe to disable fTPM as precaution?

Fastfishy2

Reputable
Apr 20, 2020
Running windows 10, no desire to upgrade to 11. Been reading about the fTPM stutter, I don't think I've noticed it but I want to disable fTPM as a precaution. I have a 5800X3D and an Asus strix B550A Mobo. It doesn't have a dedicated TPM Header. Board was built in March 2023 and is using the bios version it shipped with (2806)

I guess I'm asking if it's safe for me to just go into bios when I get home and disable fTPM. Will it mess anything up on my PC? Is it a real security risk for me going forward?

Solution
You should be able to disable it without any negative impacts, beyond likely being unable to (officially) upgrade to W11 should you wish.

Whether it's a 'real' security risk is a matter of opinion. Encryption/decryption is objectively 'good', sure - but like anything security related, you weigh the pros and cons.

If you're experiencing 'stutter' (rather than just reading about it), you could always look to update the BIOS before you go changing your security preferences/outlook. Revision 3002 of the BIOS released in March. While I don't see anything specific listed with respect to fTPM, I do see anecdotal comments out there (Reddit, etc) where the specific AGESA update included has improved their stability....
iirc, fTPM...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I guess I'm asking if it's safe for me to just go into bios when I get home and disable fTPM. Will it mess anything up on my PC? Is it a real security risk for me going forward?

You should be able to disable it without any negative impacts, beyond likely being unable to (officially) upgrade to W11 should you wish.

Whether it's a 'real' security risk is a matter of opinion. Encryption/decryption is objectively 'good', sure - but like anything security related, you weigh the pros and cons.

If you're experiencing 'stutter' (rather than just reading about it), you could always look to update the BIOS before you go changing your security preferences/outlook. Revision 3002 of the BIOS released in March. While I don't see anything specific listed with respect to fTPM, I do see anecdotal comments out there (Reddit, etc) where the specific AGESA update included has improved their stability....

May 1, 2023

iirc, fTPM stutter fix for the Asus boards was rolled out on AGESA 1207, which was Version 2803 for the B550 stuff at least. I have a B550-F with Version 2806, and Version 2803 was the one right before it, the notes say

"1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.7.
2. Fix AMD fTPM issue causes random stuttering."

I've heard conflicting things saying the Bios update didn't help, but I don't experience the huge fTPM stutter and audio dropout thing on my 5800x. some say it still stutters, some run on different motherboards, different CPUs, some run on Linux, some on Win10, some on Win11, it's tough to gauge honestly

Solution