Question Safe to turn on 165 HZ?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
My monitor is Acer KG241Q S and it actually supports 165 HZ.
I recieved it a moment ago.

When I plugged it in, it gave me an option of max 120 HZ. I enabled it in NVIDIA Control Panel.

I enabled something in the menu of the monitor called "Refresh Rate Num". and now it seems it goes all the way upto 165 HZ. There is no option for 60 HZ. only 165 HZ and 144 HZ.

165 is quite good, but will the monitor heat up, considering that it is too high?

Also, my graphics card is NVIDIA, but freesync is enabled in the menu. IS THAT OKAY? I heard Freesync does not work with NVIDIA.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Does the following link provide the user manual for your monitor?

Acer KG241Q S User Manual

Supported timing is listed on Page 6.

Read the notes below the table.

And the refresh rate you chose was via Item 6 (Refresh rate num) on Page 14 of the User Manual - correct.

165 HZ appears to be supported. However be ready to reduce if there are problems. AKA "Instability".

Pay attention to the whole build and not just the monitor.

Reactions: Jacob 51

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Does the following link provide the user manual for your monitor?

Acer KG241Q S User Manual

Supported timing is listed on Page 6.

Read the notes below the table.

And the refresh rate you chose was via Item 6 (Refresh rate num) on Page 14 of the User Manual - correct.

165 HZ appears to be supported. However be ready to reduce if there are problems. AKA "Instability".

Pay attention to the whole build and not just the monitor.
There seems to be no instability for like 4 hours.

Full Specs:
Core i5 3470
GT 1030 GDDR5
Zebronics H61
12 GB RAM 1600 MHZ.

Also, I wanted to ask, what happens if FPS is below the refresh rate?

Thanks Kind Sir!

Ralston18

Titan
If there is instability after 4 hours - that could be temperature related. But the time is likely to vary with room temperature and whatever you are doing on the computer.

If the instability occurs after some specific amount of time (4 hours) then it could be some other app is being launched and causing problems.

FYI: FPS vs refresh rate:

https://www.avadirect.com/blog/frame-rate-fps-vs-hz-refresh-rate/

https://www.makeuseof.com/frame-rate-vs-refresh-rate-difference/

From the second link
:

"The frame rate is the number of images that a computer, video game console, video player, or other device sends to the display every second. Meanwhile, the refresh rate is how fast the display can actually show those frames.

For best results, these values should sync up, or at least be close. Consider a situation where you have a gaming PC that sends 200FPS to the display, but the monitor only runs at 60Hz. This leads to screen tearing, a frequent PC gaming problem where you see parts of two or more different frames show at once"

You can easily find similar links if and as necessary to learn more.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
If there is instability after 4 hours - that could be temperature related. But the time is likely to vary with room temperature and whatever you are doing on the computer.

If the instability occurs after some specific amount of time (4 hours) then it could be some other app is being launched and causing problems.

FYI: FPS vs refresh rate:

https://www.avadirect.com/blog/frame-rate-fps-vs-hz-refresh-rate/

https://www.makeuseof.com/frame-rate-vs-refresh-rate-difference/

From the second link:

"The frame rate is the number of images that a computer, video game console, video player, or other device sends to the display every second. Meanwhile, the refresh rate is how fast the display can actually show those frames.

For best results, these values should sync up, or at least be close. Consider a situation where you have a gaming PC that sends 200FPS to the display, but the monitor only runs at 60Hz. This leads to screen tearing, a frequent PC gaming problem where you see parts of two or more different frames show at once"

You can easily find similar links if and as necessary to learn more.
This Monitor Is AWESOME So Far. I Never Really Used A "Gaming Monitor" So This Is A Good Monitor To Start With.