Question Safe to update Intel DH67CL MB BIOS?

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
Hi all,

I have an old system runs on Intel DH67CL MB and the BIOS version is BL671H.86A.0146. According to Intel the latest version for this board is 0163 . I have just one issue with this board, after shutdown you start the computer it will post and takes you to screen loading and it just stays there for almost a minute. Then it takes you to enter password screen. After that system is normal and runs with good speed without any issues. If I restart the system without shutting down using start command then restart, it will restart the system within 20 seconds. I did check all the drivers and intel management engine interface showing an error in device manager. Tried updating, removing and updating, nothing worked. Since it is a small hiccup, I let it go like this. Then my friend told me that updating BIOS may solve the issue.

I can live with this issue, but I have never done BIOS update and Intel driver assist does not update BIOS. I just don't want to risk since the board is old and it may screw up things.

Specs: i7 2600
Intel DH67CL
Ram 24MB
Two SSD
Windows 10 Pro
Cooler Master 550W PSU

Thanks

Is this a new development? I'm guessing it is.

I'd be reluctant to fiddle with the BIOS unless you have a specific reason to think updating it would help. A friend thinking it "may" is a poor reason.

Particularly since you say it is a "small hiccup".

Other things may be responsible....boot process searching for something that isn't there, unnecessary stuff attempting to load on startup, etc.

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
Is this a new development? No, have this issue for almost 6 years now, tried everything without success and only thing I haven't done is BIOS update and like you said, on a "may fix" hunch fiddling with BIOS could mess up the system. It is not my primary system anyway.

Thanks

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
Updating after one year because I could fix the issue, lately the system started causing mouse stutter at times and it was irritating while using the PC.

I updated the BIOS to the latest version, did a fresh OS install and voila the slow bootup which I had for 7 years is gone and there is no mouse stutter. I occasionally play GTA V, RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077 smoothly in this.

Gave a second life to the PC when COVID happened.

Last edited: