[SOLVED] Safe to update my CPU or wait for new Ryzens?

Vodoochild81

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Hey guys, I have been putting off a CPU upgrade for a while. I was waiting for Intel to finally catch up to AMD but Comet Lake was pretty underwhelming so I never rushed out to do it but planned to do a i9 10900k.
The thing is, I work in Post Production and even though I know Ryzen are a better deal, Adobe software works better with Intel still, and the single core speeds would be great for After Effects. Also I would need TB3 and Intel has that on everyone of their Mobos.
Nevertheless, I feel like Intel must be working on something great no? I fear there will be conference soon like the Nvidia Ampere and they will announce some new huge leap in CPUs. So should I at least wait to hear what AMD announces in October? Because potentially they may at least get their single core CPU speed up no? Potentially maybe up their Thunderbolt support up? I know you should always upgrade only when you NEED to, and for the most part my CPU is okay but it is like 6 years old and I have noticed it being really sluggish lately. I feel like once I upgrade I will be like whoa I definitely needed that. Here is my current build.

i7 5820k Asus Strix 2080ti 64gb Crucial DDR 4 2400 DIMM Asus Rampage V Extreme ATX2011E Crucial SSD 960 gb M500 Corsair AX1200I Digital ATX PSU CORSAIR HYDRO H105I LIQUID COOLER

Solution
So the Ryzen 3900x is Zen 2? What are the rumors that Zen 3 will have? Would you say my CPU is still good and it's not that much of a rush to upgrade? Should I overclock it or will that cause issues with work?

Why so much faster memory? All the pro editing rigs have 2666 memory. Isn't 3200 more so for gaming? I thought more memory is more important. What kind of kinds would I see from a lot faster memory?

More memory and dual channel is more important than "fast memory", but also your "all pro editing rigs having 2666" is usually rig makers trying to save money and cheap out, well those rigs are proabbly also equiped with mid/lower range mobos that do not support XMP memory profiles so whats the point going higher than...
The new 11th gen intel CPU willl be another iteration of the 14nm node.
They should probably be able to extract more juice and performance out of it since they will be using a new architecture. And with some luck we may finally see pcie 4.0 on intel(using the current LGA 1200 mobos) something AMD has since july of 2019.

I do not believe you will be able to get any 11th gen CPU up to 2021.

As for 10th gen vs Zen 2 or Zen 3 it all depends on how much of a rush you are in. If you can wait, I would really wait for Zen 3 reviews.

If you need to buy Im guessing 10th intel should be a nice upgrade right now. The only downside is that I do believe you should invest in faster memory than your current DDR 2400, I would not go with anything less than DDR 4 3200, specially if you make money with your rig.

Vodoochild81

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
The new 11th gen intel CPU willl be another iteration of the 14nm node.
They should probably be able to extract more juice and performance out of it since they will be using a new architecture. And with some luck we may finally see pcie 4.0 on intel(using the current LGA 1200 mobos) something AMD has since july of 2019.

I do not believe you will be able to get any 11th gen CPU up to 2021.

As for 10th gen vs Zen 2 or Zen 3 it all depends on how much of a rush you are in. If you can wait, I would really wait for Zen 3 reviews.

If you need to buy Im guessing 10th intel should be a nice upgrade right now. The only downside is that I do believe you should invest in faster memory than your current DDR 2400, I would not go with anything less than DDR 4 3200, specially if you make money with your rig.

So the Ryzen 3900x is Zen 2? What are the rumors that Zen 3 will have? Would you say my CPU is still good and it's not that much of a rush to upgrade? Should I overclock it or will that cause issues with work?

Why so much faster memory? All the pro editing rigs have 2666 memory. Isn't 3200 more so for gaming? I thought more memory is more important. What kind of kinds would I see from a lot faster memory?

More memory and dual channel is more important than "fast memory", but also your "all pro editing rigs having 2666" is usually rig makers trying to save money and cheap out, well those rigs are proabbly also equiped with mid/lower range mobos that do not support XMP memory profiles so whats the point going higher than 2666?. But hey thats my humble opinion Im not an expert on editing rigs :)

All I know is that since 8th gen, intel does see a small % point more performance with faster memory, and the trend keep up to the 9th and 10th gen series. Also not ot mention price diference for non-ecc ram between 2666 and 3200 is negible or inexistent. So why picking the slower one if you can have the other for the same money, plus and extra % points of performance?

As for your current CPU been still worth it question, thats something only you can measure. I do not know your workflow, how many hours a day you spend editing, how much time rendering, the avg length of the videos, etc.

All I know is that since 2017 adobe has been working a lot trying to bring more and more compatible GPU accelaration to thier suite, so who knows what the future will bring. Maybe by 2022 a Core i3 or Ryzen 3 could be all you need for any adobe app (long as you have an RTX 4xxx?). So yeah some questions are easier to answer than others.

As for Zen 3, AMD said Zen 2 would be huge, and man they delivered big time. About Zen 3 they are talking about atleast 15% more single core performance (not be confused with ipc, not sure why soo many people mistake this two). Intel hold the single core performance in most apps for now, but Im not sure how things will turn if AMD deliver that 15% extra or could be even more? Its all speculation until reviewes can get thier hand on the chips.

Solution