[SOLVED] Safe to use an 8 pin splitter?

May 15, 2020
I recently purchased a GPU (GTX 960) that requires 2x 6 pin inputs. Unfortunately, my PSU (CX450) only has an 8 (6+2) pin cable. The PSU has totally adequate wattage for my build. I wanted to get people's thoughts on using an 8 pin to 2x 6 pin splitter to make these parts compatible. I feel like this should be safe, since the 8 pin can supply 150W, and each 6 pin would only use 75W... Thoughts?

An alternative I considered was using a 2x molex to 6 pin converter, but my search of this forum suggested that was really not a good idea...

Solution
I recently purchased a GPU (GTX 960) that requires 2x 6 pin inputs. Unfortunately, my PSU (CX450) only has an 8 (6+2) pin cable. The PSU has totally adequate wattage for my build. I wanted to get people's thoughts on using an 8 pin to 2x 6 pin splitter to make these parts compatible. I feel like this should be safe, since the 8 pin can supply 150W, and each 6 pin would only use 75W... Thoughts?

An alternative I considered was using a 2x molex to 6 pin converter, but my search of this forum suggested that was really not a good idea...

Splitting a cable doesn't make it magically more capable of delivering more power.

Yes, the PSU's total wattage capability is enough. But you can't ask for more power when the pins aren't...

Splitting a cable doesn't make it magically more capable of delivering more power.

Yes, the PSU's total wattage capability is enough. But you can't ask for more power when the pins aren't designed to support it.

Instead of splitting an existing connector, you should use a completely separate, unused cable and adapt it.

The most common way of doing this is using a dual Molex to 6-pin.

Reactions: dinotso
Solution