[SOLVED] Safe to use lower wattage PSU as a temporary solution?

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
The title sums it up. I need to send back my EVGA 600w white PSU (Fan hits something + coil whine). My only replacement PSU I have atm is an 450w Corsair.
Can I use that in the meantime (I don't plan to game with this psu, only VNC viewer/Teamviewer and some office applications) or is it too risky?

Solution
Ryzen 7 2700
Rtx 3060
32gb ram
2x Sata ssd's
1x 1tb nvme ssd
(More details in my signature)

Could I just tweak the energysaving settings and call it done for 1-2 weeks?
As long as you make sure you use a power limiter on the GPU with a tool like EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner, you should be fine if you still want to game or something. But overall I don't think this setup would actually strain the PSU to the point of it not lasting the short term period. I had a setup with more power hungry parts (a 2700X and a RTX 2070 Super) and I didn't see it go over 320W from the wall with a Kill-A-Watt.

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
GPU is only 200w. It will work, but Its not a great idea.

Why are you running such cheap power supplies with your system anyhow?

VS450 and EVGA W1 600w are both quite low end units, and you really should be putting an appropriate PSU in your system which is not very low end.
I've read that there are users that had no problems at all, so I basically went for luck. I've browsed the PSU list on the linus tech tips forum and decided to buy a new one instead of keeping it. I guess a Seasonic Focus GX 550w should be fine. Tier A on the PSU list, Gold certified and fully modular aswell.

VS450 has the requisite 6+2 aux power connector so you are ok.
The knock on Vs units is not so much capability as long term reliability.
Focus GX550 is a fine long term investment in a psu.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
I think I would look at a 650w or 750w unit which is typically only $10-$15 more.

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
VS450 has the requisite 6+2 aux power connector so you are ok.
The knock on Vs units is not so much capability as long term reliability.
Focus GX550 is a fine long term investment in a psu.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
I think I would look at a 650w or 750w unit which is typically only $10-$15 more.
I'm not really planing in doing any upgrades at all, as I just bought the rtx 3060. This PC will probably remain as it is until I build a new one in 4-6 years so I'll stick with the 550w. But thanks for the advice :)

Ryzen 7 2700
Rtx 3060
32gb ram
2x Sata ssd's
1x 1tb nvme ssd
(More details in my signature)

Could I just tweak the energysaving settings and call it done for 1-2 weeks?
As long as you make sure you use a power limiter on the GPU with a tool like EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner, you should be fine if you still want to game or something. But overall I don't think this setup would actually strain the PSU to the point of it not lasting the short term period. I had a setup with more power hungry parts (a 2700X and a RTX 2070 Super) and I didn't see it go over 320W from the wall with a Kill-A-Watt.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS