[SOLVED] Sale of fake mx 4 without seal?

anant024

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
View: https://imgur.com/a/qXn0P99

I got a mx 4 for last year during lockdown so there's only one seller selling it online on Amazon I just got another one because I felt like something is not right, as when I applied it cpu felt snappy and like it's just installed but after few hours again it would feel as if cpu got some weight on it .
Looks like I got fake one 1st.
The one on top looks fake, which I got before and has no seals, the one bellow looks original.
Not yet tried the 2nd one yet, but would like to hear your thoughts on it.

1.What I noticed first thing was that 97% is on both is different size. The fake one on top has it bigger.

2. On the flap, one has social media icons and other has fb written on it both sides.

Seller name of 1st item on amazon is; <<Moderator Edit>>, who I think sold fake due no f even any seal on it, and since I did not know if mx4 comes with seal or not I ended up keeping it.

Last edited:
Solution

I got a mx 4 for last year during lockdown so there's only one seller selling it online on Amazon I just got another one because I felt like something is not right, as when I applied it cpu felt snappy and like it's just installed but after few hours again it would feel as if cpu got some weight on it .
The one on top looks fake, which I got before and has no seals, the one bellow looks original.

1.What I noticed first thing was that 97% is on both is different size. The fake one on top has it bigger.

2. On the flap, one has social media icons and other...

kanewolf

Titan

2. On the flap, one has social media icons and other has fb written on it both sides.

Seller name of 1st item on amazon is; <<Moderator Edit>>, who I think sold fake due no f even any seal on it, and since I did not now if mx4 comes with seal or not I ended up keeping it.
Report this to the manufacturer. They are the only ones that can effectively prosecute this.

Reactions: anant024
Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I get my MX-4 directly from the Arctic rep I work with and I have boxes that each look like both in your photo.

What makes you believe they are fakes?

Are you certain you just didn't get different productions of paste, one older, one newer? Just because the boxes are different doesn't automatically mean one is fake, although you can contact them and they'll likely ask you to send the tube in to them to investigate.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
What is the difference in terms of the paste itself? Color, consistency?

If you apply each exactly the same and with same amounts, do you see differences in temperatures in the same applications?

You mentioned that the CPU seems different after some time operationally, is there anything which can help provide backing to this claim?

I have tested many different thermal pastes and across the board, most are 1-2C difference overall in terms of cooling, so I don't think you'd see a substantial drop off. Likewise, this wouldn't be something which occurs after several hours of uptime only to 'get slow' later. Is the system like this each time you boot....works great, works great, gets slow? Is that repeatable?

anant024

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
i have reported the issue to mx4 they said they will check it out. Doesn't look like they will do much though, they did not ask me for any details as such, i shared the pics with them.

i have not yet applied this new tube i got. In facts i actually used deepcool paste which came with the gymaaxx cooler 400 i just upgraded few days since i did not buy this new mx 4 by then.

Currently cpu usage is under 20% with vlc working and PC heaving bunch of tabs on chrome and one 1080p live video playing.

But it does suddenly hit/spikes 60% to 80% i don't know why ? , with same content being played ? I5, 4440, Mobo: gigabyte D3h, PSU: season 520 bronze plus.

With old paste it was hitting atleast 40% to 60% similar work load.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...2-i5-4440-l1150-socket.3717976/#post-22419790

I haven't used that many paste, mx4 was my 1st one i ever used, the one on this system before that i don't know what it was but after 4years of buying this system when i took it out it was all dried out but temps were still under 60c or less i cant say for sure but they were not high pretty sure.
Now when i applied this mx4 ( 1st tube which i think is fake or just maybe old stock sold) the cpu was handling what i usually do with 30% or less load which normally would hit 80% even with original old paste which it came with.

PC just felt new for few days using mx 4, 1st tube as it was snappy everything was opening fast etc chrome, youtube video. vlc bluray etc. but this performance was just for few days then again it would go back that draggy/sluggish feeling CPU with not even max load.