[SOLVED] Salvaging Data From A Secondary Internal Hard Drive Following BSOD

Nov 20, 2021
Can I salvage data from a secondary hard drive after the OS becomes corrupted? Windows 10 Pro crashed. No hardware issues, I have three 1TB Internal SSD drives on my PC. The OS is on the C Drive. The D and E internal drives contain only data. Assuming I need to reinstall Windows 10 Pro on the C Drive, can I retrieve my data files from the D and E Drives?

Solution
You should be able to reuse the data files since they are on a different drive to windows.

replace c drive
unplug data from d & e
install windows on C
once windows works again, reattach data cable and take ownership of the folders the files are in.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You should be able to reuse the data files since they are on a different drive to windows.

replace c drive
unplug data from d & e
install windows on C
once windows works again, reattach data cable and take ownership of the folders the files are in.

Solution
Nov 20, 2021
Thanks, Colif!
The good news is Dell hardware scan of all 3 drives is negative. So no hardware issues. So I don't need to physically replace C. Is there a way to back up the data on D and E drives while the PC is turned off?
C, D and E are not encrypted. Windows 10 Pro bitlocker is not enabled. PC has password and user pin enabled.
Over 20 years ago I had to recover from a Windows 95 OS crash where the PC couldn't boot. I got cables from LapLink that enabled me to make a peer to peer connection to access and copy my hard drive files to another computer. Security was more primitive then. Is there still a solution that would let me copy the data files on D and E to another computer before I restore the OS on C?
I mainly want to recover the VMware image files so I won't need to reconstruct my VM's after I restore Windows 10 Pro OS.

Nov 20, 2021
Oops! Just found out that Dell automatically enables bitlocker at the factory without telling its customers. And Dell doesn't keep a record of the encryption key they created without my knowledge or permission! So it looks I can't retrieve my data.