[SOLVED] Same FPS after overclocking mobile 115W RTX 2070

Oct 18, 2019
Hi guys,

I have ASUS ROG GL704GW with i7 8750H/115W RTX 2070/16GB DDR4 2666MHZ...
I know that laptops are definitely NOT designed for overclocking but yeah, have to try something to be honest.
I used MSI afterburner app for overclocking this GPU but the problem started when i noticed that i have literally SAME fps no matter what is GPU core speed in PUBG.

I have same fps (160-170 on textures/aa ULTRA everything else LOW) and GPU core speeds in most cases were around 1650mhz... Then i UNDERCLOCKED it to around 1350mhz and had again same fps (160-170) and after a while overclocked it to max 1995mhz on CORE and again, same FPS. temps for GPU never goes above 82 celsius (throttleing is starting at 87 for GPU and 95 for CPU under FULL LOAD so there is definitely no thermal/power throttleing in this case i think...)

I definitely have no clue why is this happening and I would be really thankfull if someone can help me...

Here are the links for pictures so u can check CORE speed/usages/temps etc...

UNDERCLOCKED GPU - https://ibb.co/DLyTMTY

OVERCLOCKED GPU to almost 2 GHZ on core - https://ibb.co/JjBRS2B

Both settings are SUPER STABLE and dont mind if on overclocked picture has 10 FPS lower... its because i pressed print screen in the moment of FPS drop... FPS are the SAMEE in both cases...

Solution
Overclocking laptops doesnt really make a outsanding difference, ive done it and i wouldn't recommend it.
you're killing your laptops lifespan for a little 2-5 fps extra ,the gpu is giving all it can handle feeding it more power will make it 1-10% faster but it will also produce more heat maybe more than it can handle and shorten its life expectancy. Ive dealth with burnt out ASUS ROG GPU 's and Mobos, the cooling systems couldn't keep up since laptops have very strict temperature zone (unless it supports overclocking). this is not your answer im just giving you my past expiriences also if your going to continue trying out keep an eye on your heat and change thermal paste often. Have a good one!

davissima

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
Overclocking laptops doesnt really make a outsanding difference, ive done it and i wouldn't recommend it.
you're killing your laptops lifespan for a little 2-5 fps extra ,the gpu is giving all it can handle feeding it more power will make it 1-10% faster but it will also produce more heat maybe more than it can handle and shorten its life expectancy. Ive dealth with burnt out ASUS ROG GPU 's and Mobos, the cooling systems couldn't keep up since laptops have very strict temperature zone (unless it supports overclocking). this is not your answer im just giving you my past expiriences also if your going to continue trying out keep an eye on your heat and change thermal paste often. Have a good one!

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
When fps doesn't change between ultra and the lowest settings, that usually indicates a cpu limitation...

Also, as davissima pointed out, it's not worth overclocking in laptops. Especially so with Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series gpus, as they are TEMPERATURE SENSITIVE; gpu boost clock is affected by temps.
If the thermal headroom is already poor, overclocking does nothing for those gpus.

PUBG is also a poorly optimized game. There's likely no further performance to be had when the game engine doesn't know what to do with all that's available to it.

Oct 18, 2019
When fps doesn't change between ultra and the lowest settings, that usually indicates a cpu limitation...

Also, as davissima pointed out, it's not worth overclocking in laptops. Especially so with Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series gpus, as they are TEMPERATURE SENSITIVE; gpu boost clock is affected by temps.
If the thermal headroom is already poor, overclocking does nothing for those gpus.

PUBG is also a poorly optimized game. There's likely no further performance to be had when the game engine doesn't know what to do with all that's available to it.
Hi guys,

I have ASUS ROG GL704GW with i7 8750H/115W RTX 2070/16GB DDR4 2666MHZ...
I know that laptops are definitely NOT designed for overclocking but yeah, have to try something to be honest.
I used MSI afterburner app for overclocking this GPU but the problem started when i noticed that i have literally SAME fps no matter what is GPU core speed in PUBG.

I have same fps (160-170 on textures/aa ULTRA everything else LOW) and GPU core speeds in most cases were around 1650mhz... Then i UNDERCLOCKED it to around 1350mhz and had again same fps (160-170) and after a while overclocked it to max 1995mhz on CORE and again, same FPS. temps for GPU never goes above 82 celsius (throttleing is starting at 87 for GPU and 95 for CPU under FULL LOAD so there is definitely no thermal/power throttleing in this case i think...)

I definitely have no clue why is this happening and I would be really thankfull if someone can help me...

Here are the links for pictures so u can check CORE speed/usages/temps etc...

UNDERCLOCKED GPU - https://ibb.co/DLyTMTY

OVERCLOCKED GPU to almost 2 GHZ on core - https://ibb.co/JjBRS2B

Both settings are SUPER STABLE and dont mind if on overclocked picture has 10 FPS lower... its because i pressed print screen in the moment of FPS drop... FPS are the SAMEE in both cases...

Thanks a lot to both of you for the help... I'll definitely stop overclocking it after those informations. I know that laptops are not made for this but i repasted this thing 1 week after purschase with thermal grizzly kyronaut and got rly nice temps under full load (competition laptops such as acer/msi/razer with same CPU are going up to 100-103 celsius under full load (mine up to 90) so i thought that i had a rly nice room for overclocking the gpu cuz temps are around 80 and for my laptop limitations are starting at 87-90 celsius for gpu... But yeah, thanks again for those infos.

One more question... Do u think that i7 8750H is too weak for this GPU and thats why i dont get any performance gains???

Oct 18, 2019
I don't think that cpu is weak at all - PUBG is just a bad game to evaluate your PC's performance. Even folks with higher specs than you don't run that much better.
Blame the lazy(?) developers.

Thank you very much for the help... Still one more question... why i have SAME thermals with underclocked, default and overclocked GPU? literally exactly the same temps all the time no matter if i am playing 30 mins or 3 hours... (GPU ALWAYS 80-81 celsius and CPU up to 90? isnt that rly weird???)

Oct 18, 2019
90c on the cpu is still high and limits any boost. I know it’s common for gaming laptops, I have a 9750H and 2060 in mine. Have you tried undervolting the cpu, I have mine and by bringing down the temps it performs better.

Belive it or not 90c is NOTHING for that CPU... 85-90 is super safe and normal temps, just check competitor laptops such as razer/msi/lenovo etc... They are all reaching temps up to 98-105c out of the box while full load (gaming) so mine 90c is nothing under full load if u consider that my room temp in always around 25-27 cuz its Removed cold in my country so u have to heat room rly hard...

When i bought laptop i had same problems with thermals - CPU went up to 100-105 without a problem... clocks fell off from 3.9 ghz to 3.4 ghz to easy cuz of overheating...

Things i did to prevent it

1. Cleaning from dust - didnt help
  2. Repasting with mx4 - didnt help
  3. repasting with liquid metal - HELPED A LOT (15-20 celsius) but almosts Removed up my laptop after 2 motnhs... metal almost leaked to motherboard contacts (saw that when i went to clean up everything inside from dust)
PICTURE OF FAILURE
Metal on CPU/GPU - View: https://imgur.com/M29LC9L

METAL ALMOST LEAKED - View: https://imgur.com/Wd7V3B8

4. Spent literally 3 hours cleaning this metal carefully with earbuds sticks and after that i bought Thermal grizzly kyronaut and repasted cpu/gpu/vram/mosfet etc and closed it... after that i installed Intel XTU and underclocked core and cache on cpu by -100mV because everything beyond that will end up with BSOD - and since then i am not having problems anymore :)

Last edited by a moderator: