Same PC two graphic cards (RX480 and...)

greyfox99

Prominent
May 16, 2017
Hi,

I would like to add another graphic card to my pc. I already have a RX 480 8GB MSI and I would need another (as cheap as possible) graphic card to add two more different outputs with VGA or DVI connectors if possible...

I have already tried to put an R9 290X, R5 and hd5450, the R9 290X but neither of them do. It displays a message saying that the configuration is incompatible.

I'm not trying to do crossfire, just have two more video outputs for something that doesn't need a lot of resources, so... Can anyone recommend another AMD card compatible with the RX480 as cheap as possible?

Thanks. Best regards.

Solution
If you just want more output ports, get a HDMI splitter adapter for about US$100. That would be more stable then a crossfire configuration which may be quite bugged. And also cheaper.

But if you plan on gaming with 4 1080p screens, its like pushing 4K on an RX 480. You may only get 30 FPS. Productivity wise it will not matter, for workstation tasks are more CPU bound and the i7 4790K is capable enough.

greyfox99

Prominent
May 16, 2017

Hi,

CPU: Intel 4790K
Motherboard: Asus VII hero
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Graphics card: MSI RX 480 8GB

I need four outputs: two that are already connected (RX 480) with eyefinity to two projectors with a cylindrical screen; and two more that are connected to two little 7" vga TFTs.

Thanks. Regards

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
All of the other cards you listed should work as additional cards fine. Whats the error you are getting?

Anyway as an alternative, you can go into your bios and enable igpu multi monitor, then you can use the GPU built into your i7. Once you have enabled that you can plug the additional screens into the display outputs on your motherboard.

greyfox99

Prominent
May 16, 2017

This is the error i'm getting with the installer:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/KB174.aspx

kgt1182

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016
If you just want more output ports, get a HDMI splitter adapter for about US$100. That would be more stable then a crossfire configuration which may be quite bugged. And also cheaper.

But if you plan on gaming with 4 1080p screens, its like pushing 4K on an RX 480. You may only get 30 FPS. Productivity wise it will not matter, for workstation tasks are more CPU bound and the i7 4790K is capable enough.

Solution