Samsung’s New QLED Gaming Monitor Is DisplayHDR Compliant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a strange aspect ratio, but I see it could be good for people who like multiple monitor setups. It's 'the best of both worlds' (wide aspevt ratio with no bezel). If only more games were prepared for this...

MeeLee

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2014
No proper 4k support?

as far as 21:1, most games do support the resolution, as long as Windows supports it.
The extra horizontal pixels work really well with F1 racing games, 3D shooters, and a plethora of games!

I don't truly understand your post. It might be cause I've been studying too much and I'm mentally tired, but what do you mean by "No proper 4k support?"? After all, this is just an ultra-ultra wide monitor, exactly like 2 1080p monitors side by side.

And this is 32:9, so I also don't really understand the 21:9 part.
Just to clarify, when I said "I wish more games supported this" I meant it like "properly" support it. Many games, when overstretched horizontally, will not look really well, with such high FOVs. After all, it would be like a 150° FOV, depending on the distance to the monitor

On another note: Jake Hall, did you downvote my post because you truly disagree with my words, or just because of petty revenge for me downvoting yours?

sunny420

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
To me the :9 ratio ruins it once the monitor is over 24-27". What's with the vertical resolution reluctance?

I think the point is exactly that, having an extremely wide monitor (close to 3:1, but even wider) to use instead of 2 fullHD monitors side by side You just avoid the bezel in the center.

AcesB

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
This monitor has the same area and dimensions of two 27" Full HD displays, side by side, bezel aside.
Pixel density is about 81 DPI, which is LOW. You can see the pixels, and worst, you can see that tiny black frame around each pixel.
A good resolution for 16x9, 27" is 2560x1440, with DPI around 110DPI. Applied to this new Samsung 49" size, that means gorgeous 5120 x 1440!
Good for GTX 1080 class or better.

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

What you are "wanting" is not possible with todays technology. This monitor already takes 17.92Gbps (@8bit color) of bandwidth to transmit the video to the display. This nearly saturates todays HDMI 2.0 and DP1.2 standards. 32:9 1440P would take 31.85Gbps, which does not exist today other then the HDMI 2.1 standard which is only a piece of paper right now. The other option to get a 32:9 into a single moniotor would be to divide the video signal across (2) cables and video outputs on your computer, but then you would need to build a wall processor into the monitor substantially increasing the cost and lag.

If you want 32:9 1440p you're going to have to deal with dual monitors for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS