Samsung 226BW, only choice in 22"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
great choice, tell you what race you to the bottom,ill go for a midleton :p

You're on!!!! :p

Never had a Midleton Very Rare yet, then again I'm a single malt kinda guy.
lol, i wish now :twisted: i only had it once, but hey,im in ireland :), i leave the whiskey for special occasions, beer mostly, Czech beer Staropramen is my beer of choice at the moment, mmmmmmmmmm

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Well, if I could get like $10 from just a few people here at forums, then I could actually get it, though I don;t think people here do donations
see we could but that would remove the whole education of earning it yourself :twisted:

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
My problem is I;m age limited for getting a job, and the only job I can get allows me to only work on weekends at some points of the year :cry:
ahh, i remember those days, worked like a lunatic in the summer to buy an amiga 500, was definately worth the effort as ive been a sucker for comps since i played on my aunts old atari 2 when i was 6 or something

You definately dont want to buy it on credit if it will take you a while to pay it back, you'd definately be best talking to your dad about it, besides you could probably get a few bob for your current screen also

My favorite beer is actually from your neck of the woods.

Guinness
ahh the old faithful, dont mind the guiness myself now, had it in the states, ewwwwwwwww

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I'd rather get a high end monitor on credit than not get one though, I really need this since my $5 garage sale bought crt just isn't cutting it anymore
i agree, i was more excited about setting up the screen than i was about getting my core 2 6400, Asus P5N32-E SLI & Corsair C4 ram up and running( where incidentally the mobo was fubar and i still havnt got it running a month later,grrrrr )
But just consider all your options and whichever one works best for you, for me financial credit suxorz bigtime, but thats just me

I'd rather get a high end monitor on credit than not get one though, I really need this since my $5 garage sale bought crt just isn't cutting it anymore

Can you work in a local mom and pop store "off the books"?

ahh the old faithful, dont mind the guiness myself now, had it in the states, ewwwwwwwww

Unfortuantely, I haven't had the pleasure to drink the "unfiltered" version. I was planning on going to Ireland a few years back for a wedding, but work kept me from attending.

Now if only a can figure out how to sneak a keg or two back into the US.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Unfortuantely, I haven't had the pleasure to drink the "unfiltered" version. I was planning on going to Ireland a few years back for a wedding, but work kept me from attending.

Now if only a can figure out how to sneak a keg or two back into the US.
ahh you should have come, weddings are a great laugh here, as for the import if you put your heart into it :)

I can start working next weekend since my job is reffing soccer games, and it pays 16 a game, so I just need to work 6 games one weekend and I made 96, enough to buy the monitor :D Problem is, it takes a few weeks for the check to come in, I'm wondering if there will be still be s panels around at that time or not? Because if there won't I'll just save up for the lg instead or go cheaper
well thats not too bad, as far as i know samsung were releasing A panels due to production shortages, i dont know if this is the case now or not, but you should email newegg or whereever you are going to buy from to see if you can guarantee yourself an S panel, otherwise id go for the LG, i dont know how much cheaper it is there, but i was considering it myself

I wouldnt go too cheap though as ive read quality issues and what not with the very cheap panels, but you could be lucky( definately research it if youre taking that route ). The way i see it is the screen lasts a lot longer than the PC so worth spending a little extra on

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
The lg is actually more expensive, by a good $50 :? But it supposedly has a better picture coming from a 226bw user, though it uses the same panel, which might be why there's a panel shortage at samsung. It seems to me that the shortage was just for a while as the demand has dropped a bit since more and more reviewers claim getting s vs a panels
wow, the world is different, the LG is cheaper here by around $70, on hardforums the general concensus was that the samsung was better( but read both threads on each panel there yourself ), i went with the info there as it was the first place i could get info on the samsung, even being happy with the 226 for me i wouldnt consider it if it was more expensive, again thats just my opinion

You might be better off with the LG though if you are worried about the A version of the 226, i took the chance, but only after reading that the difference was only slight and that the S panel is setup better out of the box

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I think I'll end up with an s panel (at least I hope I will, when I actually get the money), but if not I'll just work a bit more for an lg, but do you mind pointing out where I can find that lg for $70 less?
do see if you can call a retailer or email them to check for an S panel, sorry but the LG is cheaper here in europe( not much good to you ) so thats just what i was checking

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I will go ask best buy if they will open a box for me, I live less than 5 minutes away anyways (best buy is an electronic shop in case you didn't know). The other nearby shops either price too high or don't carry the panel
sounds like a plan, hopefully they will :)

franky932

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Well guys I bought 2 samsung 206BW's the 20" model from Circuit city Monday after the Superbowl I did not hear about the A/S panel stuff until last week. I looked and found out I had 2 A panels. BUT I can't complain cause I got them at $239 each. Seems someone in corporate entered the price wrong. Mine worked fine out of the box with no overbleed. Not a 22" which are georgeous but my next ones will be 24"

FYI - I did some research into these new widescreen monitors and came up with this

The 19" WS are basically the old 17" stretched from 1024x768 to 1440x800
The 20" WS are basically the old 19" stretched from 1280x1024 to 1680x1050 fine pixel
The 22" WS are basically the old 20" stretched from 1600x1200 to 1680x1050/medium pixels
The 24" WS are basically the old 21" stretched from 1600x1200 to 1920 x1200

20" great for viewing photos 22" better if text are involved same as the 4:3 panels.. I use my 20" for financials charts so they do the job. Next logical step is 24" or 27" for me.

oh noooooooooo i did not want to buy the 226BW because of the a and and c panel can not find s panel

and now you say that the 206bw have a A PANEL not a S panel ARE YOU SURE?

tyvm

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
woohoo now have enough juice to run this screen P5N32-E SLI, 2 Gig Corsair Twin XMS2, Core 2 6400 with xfx7800gtx n xfi xtrememusic, bf2 avg 88FPS avg everything max, 4xAA & sound ultra, must chech the rest of the collection

:twisted:

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
You mind buying me a 226bw then since you happen to have a lot money and don't know what to do with it? :lol: :D
lol, :D nah ive had the stuff for ages, i sold my old PC to my gf cheap and used the cash to buy a new rig, so i got my new PC or the price of the Samsung 226, i.e. thats all i had to pay for :twisted: .

Ive had the stuff for the past 2 months but the mobo was fubar and had to RMA it, i want to OC it to around 3.5Ghz but its still too unstable so have to sort that first

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I'd try better cpu cooling if you can't hit 3.5ghz stable, but so you got that stuff cheap...Will you give me a samsung 226bw now? 8O :p :lol: :tongue:
lol :tongue:

I have a scythe mine cooler, definately not having heat problems CPU idle @28 under load 40 i think( only have it up and running since last night and im mostly installing stuff as gf is taking her PC today, so im in a rush to take everything off her PC i need ), im guessing its memory timings, its corsair twin xms2 C4 but i tried 4-4-4-12 @2.1v but that didnt work so i relaxed it to 5-5-5-15, so far seems ok, and i did play bf2 for hours last night

Remember you'll need to have a decent enough system for that samsung to get good performance at native res, i couldnt believe my FEAR results :D, 6% between 25 & 40( lowest 30 ), avg was 70FPS & MAX 180 or something, thats with all settings at max except AA off & no soft shadows( kills the 7800, halves the rame rates )

i bought an amd 4200+ last year for nearly the same price as this mobo and 6400 :evil:

Now just to pick up a copy of Vista Ultimate cheap( i know its crap at the mo, but it'll be fine on dual boot )

franky932

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
samsung 206 bw or 226 bw is a difference to handle between the 2 monitors

at 1600x900 res or they are no difference because i will buy one of the 2 lcd panel in a few days btw i have a 6600gt and 3 GHZ AMD

or i have to go down to 1280x780 in res ?

tyvm

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
samsung 206 bw or 226 bw is a difference to handle between the 2 monitors

at 1600x900 res or they are no difference because i will buy one of the 2 lcd panel in a few days btw i have a 6600gt and 3 GHZ AMD

or i have to go down to 1280x780 in res ?

tyvm
the 226's highest res is 1600 x 1050, if thats your only choice id taker the 226 because its 2 inches bigger :)

Right now I'm so happy, because I managed to find benq's 24" on the cheap for just $370, but it's a refurbished model, something I can put up with though, I just need to save up $100 and it's mine :D
wow, good price,its ment to be a very good screen, start saving :)

franky932

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
anybody know a program (power strip dont work) to add resolutions to my 226 BW like 1280x800 and 1440x900 with my 6600 gt nvidia

tyvm

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
for my applications dont play games often
ahh ok, but why would you want to run applications in non native res? they would look terrible, couldnt you run them in a window?

I know what youre saying though, but i dont know how that would work except forcing the video card to scale the image as games do

franky932

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
because in 1600x900 the text is very small

bye
set the dpi higher, up the font sizes in the theme tab of the "Display" control panel

ok for font sizes..... dpi higher is the font sizes? or other settings ?

tyvm

Status
Not open for further replies.