Samsung 250GB IDE PATA 7200rpm Hard Drive SP2514N

hbrites

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Hello. I have a SP2514N IDE HDD with important data. I need the controller board for it to gain access to the disk. It is posible? Where can I get a controller board?
Please help.

Louis_12

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Hi!

Did you finally get it? I need one too... The disk was in an enclosure. I was transfering data and my son did not see the power cable....

If you get this message, please reply to: louisaq@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Louis

Loius, if the drive has been dropped, then the PCB is most likely OK. Instead it will most probably have an internal fault. Does it spin up, or does it make noises like the motor is seized? It could also be that the heads have come to rest on the platters, resulting in stiction.

hbrites, what is the symptom? Sometimes there is an easy DIY repair.

Louis_12

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hi! Thanks for the reply! It has not been dropped because it was laying on the floor; I would rather say that it was lugged for a short distance...Well, it spins and most of the time I can hear some `clicks` inside. I can not see it in `my computer`and `device manager` does not show it either. I took a foolish chance by replacing the PCB with one coming from a somehow similar drive (the same brand, the same capacity the same `numeric`model number - only the two letters at the end were different - it was a SATA). Mine, the deffective one, is an ATA. With the replacement board it kept producing some noise, but it was different. I still can hope that I will be able to recover the data in a reasonably priced way. I`ve heard some stories about hard drives that worked again for a short time, after having been frozen for one day... could it be true? Thanks again

Even though the physical components (heads, platters, preamp, voice coil, motor) may be identical, a SATA and PATA drive will differ in their firmware. This firmware resides in a hidden System Area on the platters. Therefore a SATA/PATA board swap won't work.

If the drive spins up but clicks, this would suggest that the board is OK. Instead the fault is most likely an internal one, ie heads or media.