[SOLVED] Samsung 4k monitor U28D590D power issues?

Apr 6, 2021
Hello. I'm using a U28D590D with my laptop connected via HDMI cable. Over the last few months, I noticed that the power connector is getting really hot (like too hot to touch). When it's hot, the monitor starts to occasionally flash, lose the signal, and then reload. However, this weekend, it stopped working completely. I played with it a bit and discovered that now, the power cord needs to be plugged in at a particular angle in order for it to work. It is functioning and it's not overheating now (I had to put a bandaid on it to hold the cord in the position it needs to be though). But, now when I plug in my headphones I hear very loud feedback in the headphones. If I unplug the HDMI cord from my computer, it reduces the feedback, but it does not go away entirely unless I unplug the power to the monitor. It sounds to me like there's a power issue, but I'm a counselor, not a computer tech.
Is it safe to continue to use? Is there something I can do to stop the feedback? Should I just dump it and get a new one? I don't trust samsung at all, and TBH, I'm afraid it's going to catch on fire...

This is the adapter for the U28D590D we are talking about correct?

" I noticed that the power connector is getting really hot (like too hot to touch). When it's hot, the monitor starts to occasionally flash, lose the signal, and then reload. "
^^^^probably a short in the adapter.

"Is it safe to continue to use? "
I wouldn't....as it may short and cause problems.

"Should I just dump it and get a new one? "
Yes.

Apr 6, 2021
This is the adapter for the U28D590D we are talking about correct?

" I noticed that the power connector is getting really hot (like too hot to touch). When it's hot, the monitor starts to occasionally flash, lose the signal, and then reload. "
^^^^probably a short in the adapter.

"Is it safe to continue to use? "
I wouldn't....as it may short and cause problems.

"Should I just dump it and get a new one? "
Yes.
To be clear... dump the monitor or the adapter?

I noticed that the power connector is getting really hot (like too hot to touch).
Did you mean this thing? Power adapter (not power connector)?
Get a replacement.

s-l300.jpg

Apr 6, 2021
Did you mean this thing? Power adapter (not power connector)?
Get a replacement.

s-l300.jpg
Yes. This is the thing I’m talking about. Where it actually plugs into the monitor was heating up. My concern is that maybe it’s not the adapter and maybe it’s whatever the thing plugs into. But I guess getting a new adapter and trying it will answer that.

Yes. This is the thing I’m talking about. Where it actually plugs into the monitor was heating up. My concern is that maybe it’s not the adapter and maybe it’s whatever the thing plugs into. But I guess getting a new adapter and trying it will answer that.
OK....many times what this means is a bad connection at the plug jack interface.
Is the plug loose in there?
The springs on the jack can fatigue...and sometimes you can access them and bend them back and sometimes it's a real pain.