Samsung 840 Evo Low Random Write IOPS

demodom

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Hey all,

I've had a 250 Gb Samsung 840 Evo for just about a year now, and I've noticed very low random write speeds when checking performance through Samsung magician. The write IOPS jump to about 50k and then after about 5 seconds of idling, slowly dwindle down to about 8-10k. I've reviewed a few other posts on the topic throughout the site and have followed this guide for optimization I've seen linked around with no results.

Any ideas?

Solution
Hey there, demodom.

Basically those tweaks you've tried are pretty helpful (some even obligatory, one might say - like enabling TRIM). If you have any suspicions that the SSD might be having issues, I'd recommend that you backup any personal data you might have on it, just to be on the safe side. After that, download an SSD diagnostics tool and test the drive for errors, to see if anything unusual pops-up. You could also try the SSD with a different computer, or at least with a different SATA port and cables on yours. I'd also suggest that you check if there's a firmware update available and if there is one - install it to see if that fixes the problem.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, demodom.

Basically those tweaks you've tried are pretty helpful (some even obligatory, one might say - like enabling TRIM). If you have any suspicions that the SSD might be having issues, I'd recommend that you backup any personal data you might have on it, just to be on the safe side. After that, download an SSD diagnostics tool and test the drive for errors, to see if anything unusual pops-up. You could also try the SSD with a different computer, or at least with a different SATA port and cables on yours. I'd also suggest that you check if there's a firmware update available and if there is one - install it to see if that fixes the problem.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

creation88

Reputable
May 12, 2015
Check the power supply cable to the ssd try a different one to see if it is faulty.
Check the sata cord attached to the ssd and try a different cord to see if it is faulty.
Make sure the sata cable is a 6gbs cord.
If these do not work try replacing the whole power supply with a different one to see if that works (if you have an extra one)
I hope I helped.