Samsung 840 Pro SSD: More Speed, Less Power, And Toggle-Mode 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Kudos to Samsung for getting ahead of the competition yet again. And the complete SSD is designed and manufactured in house! And thay are sure of its reliability, hence the 5 year warranty.

I dont see why it did not get a Toms approved award.... its faster, uses less power, and offers better warranty than the competition. And the firmware is also stable, unlike SF.

willyroc

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Wow, Samsung was ahead of competitors with its 830 due to superior performance and low prices. Now I bet the 840 has, (or will) widened that lead.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]Kudos to Samsung for getting ahead of the competition yet again. And the complete SSD is designed and manufactured in house! And thay are sure of its reliability, hence the 5 year warranty. I dont see why it did not get a Toms approved award.... its faster, uses less power, and offers better warranty than the competition. And the firmware is also stable, unlike SF.[/citation]

Probably because it still costs $600 for a pathetic 512gb of memory. Once you can get 512gb for under $200 and have a life span that gets close to a decent HDD, then you can expect an award.

They keep increasing the speed, but they do nothing to reduce the COST. I would take an SSD half as fast as some that are out now if they cost me half as much and had a decent amount of storage. It's still pointless for someone like me who has over 1.5TB of space used. I can't load Windows and all of my critical programs on a 256GB SSD, and the 512GB wouldn't give me much wiggle room. Not to mention my sample libraries that would benefit from the speed... that are hundreds of GB each.

G

So it's the Samsung 840Pro 256GB for C:, and it's the Seagate single-platter 1TB drive (ST1000DM003) for storage. Awesome awesome combo.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]sherlockwing[/nom]Gah, 1 month after I get the 830 now comes the 840 Pro who gets another 120 mb/s in extra speed.[/citation]

Thats technology growth for you :D

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
To those that complain about SSD life span, the truth is that in 3 years(typical warranty of an SSD) you won't be using the same SSD because the new SSD will be 40-50% faster. 3 year from now I'd be using the 860 Pro with anyway and when an SSD reach end life it just can't write anymore, you can still read all the files onto your new SSD unlike a hard drive that just breaks down.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]They keep increasing the speed, but they do nothing to reduce the COST.[/citation]
SSD prices are the lowest they've ever been and are dropping at a very rapid pace. Last year $1 per GB was unheard of, now you can find SSDs as cheap as $.60/GB and mainstream drives have been under $1 for a while. Only the top of the line drives are still more than $1/GB.

It's still pointless for someone like me who has over 1.5TB of space used.
4TB and growing, and I get plenty of use out of my SSD. People who claim SSDs are pointless for them are people who don't understand how they should be used. Leave your data on an HDD, and put the OS on the SSD.

I can't load Windows and all of my critical programs on a 256GB SSD, and the 512GB wouldn't give me much wiggle room. Not to mention my sample libraries that would benefit from the speed... that are hundreds of GB each.
Forget loading your hundreds of GB of data files onto an SSD. Decent mechanical drives in RAID 0 perform nearly as well in sequential reads, which is what reading in your samples would be.

Sounds like you need to stop complaining and start using the right tool for the job.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]...pointless for someone like me who has over 1.5TB of space used[/citation]

You are not painting the greatest geek picture of yourself here :)
You must have heard that it is a good idea to have at least 2 drives, one OS and crucial programs and one or more Data drives?
Photoshop even kindly points out that it prefers a separate scratch disk.

I use a 90GB SSD and 2TB data drive and that works just fine with Win7/64, full Photoshop/Premiere install and a few choice other things; and still have some 30GB left over.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]It's still pointless for someone like me who has over 1.5TB of space used. [/citation]

I have over 30 TB of "data" sitting on an enterprise class NAS, that everyone on my network uses for extra storage and to access content.

My PC does everything I need to do with 2x 256 GB SSD drives, and I am sure after using it for a year... that anyone else's can too.

Upgrading both my drives to 2 of these 840 512gb drives would be huge boost ^^

Don't get me wrong, I like Samsung SSD's but ~30% more expensive it's a tough choice, and for now I'd choose the OCZ Vertex 4. The real world in 4KB (most OS/Apps) doesn't justify it's price. Hopefully the prices I ran across are incorrect, but here's what I've found:

Samsung SSD 840 Pro Pricing:
$99.99 64GB, $149.99 128GB, $269.99 256GB, $599.99 512GB.

Samsung SSD 830 Pricing:
$74.99 64GB, $139.99 128GB, $219.99 256GB, $569.99 512GB.

OCZ Vertex 4 Pricing:
$49.99 64GB, $99.99 128GB, $199.99 256GB, $399.99 512GB.

[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Once you can get 512gb for under $200 and have a life span that gets close to a decent HDD, then you can expect an award. [/citation]

Well, it seams samsung is doing a decent job on getting there. heck, In this article they even mentioned about there personal experiences with the 470

We run Samsung 470s in all of our test beds in Tom's Hardware labs around the world, and not one of them has suffered any sort of failure.

and the first ones launched about 2 years ago. So I'm just a few of those test beds has those early models. ;)

[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]They keep increasing the speed, but they do nothing to reduce the COST. [/citation]

Oh really? For the samsung 830 128GB I have, (if I bought it) it would of cost $200 to $250 when it first came out. (got my SSD through the samsung giveaway many months back, so I dont remember exact price of it at the time, other than it was above $200.)

From the samsung 830 review
We're told that the 128 GB 830-series drive should sell for $250. That’s a little under $2 per GB (right in line with OCZ's 120 GB Vertex 3).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-830-ssd-toggle-mode,3034.html

So with the info from above, a samsung 830 128GB cost about $140 now and when it launched a year ago, i cost over $200.... They haven't reduced the cost at all?

Lets rethink that about that. ;)

(and thats just from samsung, I haven't looked at the other guys. Although knowing how companies react to each other that's in the same market, I'm pretty darn sure that i'll see the exact same trend.)

[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom] It's still pointless for someone like me who has over 1.5TB of space used. I can't load Windows and all of my critical programs on a 256GB SSD, and the 512GB wouldn't give me much wiggle room. Not to mention my sample libraries that would benefit from the speed... that are hundreds of GB each.[/citation]

Something fishy with your thinking or something :heink:

No matter what kind of job you can do with a computer, I've never heard of someone that would need 512GB of storage just for their critical programs or if they did, it wasn't critical enough to need the speed of an SSD (and with all the people i've hanged out with on the forums, I know there plenty of guys in there that really do use there storage systems to the limit (both speed and storage) by there jobs/activites).

Now if your combining progams WITH anything you save. Then that's a different story.

Although if that's your thinking then as Freggo and willard pointed out, For how long you been here, you should of know by now that you need would need to pick the right things for the job and truly figure out what needs the speed benefit of an SSD. (not every "critical program" needs the speed boost of an SSD. )

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]sherlockwing[/nom]Gah, 1 month after I get the 830 now comes the 840 Pro who gets another 120 mb/s in extra speed.[/citation]

Such is the life of an early adopter. :)

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
Tom's Hardware

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Don't get me wrong, I like Samsung SSD's but ~30% more expensive it's a tough choice, and for now I'd choose the OCZ Vertex 4. The real world in 4KB (most OS/Apps) doesn't justify it's price. Hopefully the prices I ran across are incorrect, but here's what I've found.[/citation]

The difference is Vertex4 has performance dependent on the capacity filled. Plus, OCZ are known to release not fully tested firmware. With Samsung, the firmware is rocksolid.

Real World - you won't be able to tell the differences, most tasks <1 second, install a 7GB game <15 seconds. So if you're a 'Borg' then maybe...

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]The difference is Vertex4 has performance dependent on the capacity filled. Plus, OCZ are known to release not fully tested firmware. With Samsung, the firmware is rocksolid.[/citation]

All SSDs have performance that depends on the capacity filled and the same is true for hard drives. Vertex 4 might be more reliant on this than most others, but with the 256GB and 512GB capacities, it also doesn't make as much of a difference even with higher amounts of data filling the drives as it does for the lower capacity models. Besides, most people will keep at least a 25%-40% buffer of free space on an SSD for garbage collection and such, so OCZ is basically capitalizing on what would otherwise be wasted performance.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Take it from some one who has a 256GB revo drive 3 and a 120 patriot wild fire drive.. and 2 1 tb drives i basically have no need for extra storage at the moment to be honest the only reason i bought the revo drive 3 was to load my steam / origin games on it.. and for faster video file conversions .. having a ssd like this one sounds good though .. but now that i have that revo drive .. even this samsung looks noobish to me .. I am starting to wonder if its a serial ata 3 data caps that we are hitting because most stand alone drives top out around 550 560 MB reads .. where is serial ata 4 at? but to be entirely honest i have way more speed in this system then i actually need.

[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]The difference is Vertex4 has performance dependent on the capacity filled. Plus, OCZ are known to release not fully tested firmware. With Samsung, the firmware is rocksolid.[/citation]
The garbage collection algorithm was corrected with the release of v1.5 of OCZ's firmware, and there's not a single SSD Mfg, I can think of, without a flawed firmware at one point or another including Samsung; e.g. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5460/samsung-updates-the-firmware-of-ssd-830-series-fixes-bsod-issue OCZ and other's release Beta (not fully tested) firmware, but my recommendation is not to use Beta.

Again, I have nothing but praise of Samsung's SSD, my sole gripe are the prices.

BTW - my personal rig uses a Corsair GT (nice sale price), and office are all Intel SSD's...I rarely keep any PC or component for more than 3-4 years max.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

http://news.softpedia.com/news/CES-2012-OCZ-Releases-16TB-PCI-Express-SSD-245746.shtml

SATA7 (assuming doubling of bandwidth with each version holds true) would be needed for some of OCZ's PCIe behemoths.

Status
Not open for further replies.