Samsung 850 EVO randomly disappearing

Sptz

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014
Hi guys,

I've been having a weird issue lately, one of my SSDs (used just for games) sometimes doesn't show up on Windows 10 when I boot up, if I reboot it still doesn't show. I have to do a full power cycle (actual shutdown and turn on). After that it then shows up but if I go do "Optimize Drives" it shows it needs to be optimized (trimmed) every time this happens.

The drive health is at 100%, did benchmarks on it, everything is perfect. Even reset CMOS etc, and sometimes it does it, it's not every day, maybe once every 2 weeks or a week and a half.

Any ideas?

Solution
Hey there, Sptz!

You have done a good job with the troubleshooting till now. I'd suggest you also attempt to use a different SATA cable with that SSD, if you haven't tried that already. This random disappearing might be happening because of a faulty/corrupted connection to the SSD. I'd also suggest you plug it to a different SATA III port on your motherboard and see how it would behave from there.
If you have access to another computer, I'd suggest you check how the drive would be recognized from there as well.

Hope it helps. Keep me posted! :)
Cheers,
SueprSoph_WD
Hey there, Sptz!

You have done a good job with the troubleshooting till now. I'd suggest you also attempt to use a different SATA cable with that SSD, if you haven't tried that already. This random disappearing might be happening because of a faulty/corrupted connection to the SSD. I'd also suggest you plug it to a different SATA III port on your motherboard and see how it would behave from there.
If you have access to another computer, I'd suggest you check how the drive would be recognized from there as well.

Hope it helps. Keep me posted! :)
Cheers,
SueprSoph_WD

Solution