Samsung 850 EVO vs 850 PRO - differences?

newn

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Trying to choose an SSD and it seems these two are of top quality. However the price difference is quite significant. Is PRO worth the extra price? What are the differences in the first place? Or perhaps I should look at something else, too?

Mattios

Honorable
There are no real world differences. Although on paper one (850) is faster, you're only getting a second or two better boot/load speed for a lot of money. So if you ask me, go for the 840 Pro and get yourself a better GPU or CPU, or buy yourself (several) coffees :)

1. In technical reviews the 850 Pro and 850 EVO kept trading places for top honors in different benchmarks. The 850 EVO can hold its own against the 850 Pro. The reason for that is Samsung released the 850 EVO after the 950 Pro. The EVO has a newer controller and firmware. Both models use the same 3D V-Nand flash memory.

2. Both models have excellent track records. Absolutely no problems, issues, glitches, or hiccups. Just about all of the problems I see in the forums for ssd's in general are either due to a user's lack of ssd knowledge, incorrect BIOS and/or system settings, and unsuccessful attempts to clone an existing drive to a new ssd. The biggest problem is with the cloning applications. That's one reason why a fresh clean installation of the operating system is the preferred method. The other reason is that Windows does not do a very good job of deleting old, useless files and registry entries. No point in cloning all that useless data to a new ssd.

3. When Samsung originally released the 850 Pro it came with a 5 year warranty. Then Plextor released an ssd with a 10 year warranty. Plextor advertising claimed 1.5 million hours MTBF. Samsung immediately increased the 850 Pro warranty to 10 years to match Plextor. If it hadn't been for Plextor, the 850 Pro would still have a 5 year warranty just like the EVO. There are no other consumer ssd's with 10 year warranties.

4. The usual suite of synthetic benchmarks can be deceving to anyone who is not familiar with them. The first and biggest problem is the benchmarks are designed to grossly exaggerate very minor performance differences between models. The graphs and charts in the technical reviews reflect those minor differences. To the uninformed those colorful charts make it appear as if there are very large differences when in fact the differences are almost negligible.

5. Typically an EVO model costs less than a Pro model and represents a better value for the money. However, there may be special sales coming up with decent discounts on the 850 Pro too.

6. Most consumers would not be able to notice or "feel" any performance difference between the 850 Pro and EVO. Someone would have to be doing some sort of professional work that involves a really heavy workload. Gaming and editing family videos do not count as heavy loads.

My comments are based on a little bit of logic, common sense, and experience. Of course there are times when logic does not apply. Sometimes a person simply wants bragging rights.

I maintain an ssd database listed in a sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the SATA 3 section where you will find the 850 Pro and EVO. Follow the links to the technical reviews. The reviews are in English and many other languages.

Mkornegay2

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

Hi Johnny, thanks for all the info. I just purchased the 850 EVO 1TB for $305+tax ($326). I saw a post were someone said the EVO was pretty much keeping up with the Pro and they do have the same read/write speeds. After cloning my new EVO and about to install in my computer I was saw in a vid that the PRO being for professionals (which I am). The price was over a $100 more for the Pro of the same size ($422+tx). I didn't think it feasible at the time and I know after reading to many benchmark marks I get more indecisive. I was looking at another benchmark here http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Pro-1TB-vs-Samsung-850-Evo-1TB/3577vs3576 that shows the Pro doing significantly better (at least on paper) and saw that I can get on eBay for $375-385 which isn't bad.

So to my question. Is it worth the extra $75 and the return hassle /costs with Amazon to get the Pro. I'm sure I will have to pay something if it's not defective. I am a graphic designer that uses the Adobe CC suite heavily (multiple programs open, some files over 1GB). I also do web design and some Premiere work. I just don't know if the extra money and return back and forth is worth it. I have my EVO in hand and ready to install. I don't want to be impatient if I should go with the Pro. Advice please. Thx.