Samsung 850 Pro 256GB or 850 Evo 500GB?

nerwin

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
I currently have a Samsung 840 Pro 128GB and while its been solid with the exception of rapid mode, I am just running out space. I don't like having 30-40gb of free space this day and age, especially when I'm processing high resolution panoramas, it also prevents me from installing games or other large applications because of the lack of space.

So I'm debating on getting the 850 Pro 256GB to replace my 840 Pro 128GB because I have a pro drive now, but also noticed the 500GB 850 Evo for like $20 more.

From my understanding the 850 Pro uses better memory and have better longevity and reliability than the 850 Evo.

Is it worth sacrificing that to get the SSD with larger storage?

Also, which is going to perform the best from my current 840 Pro 128gb?

Solution
I'd rather have the larger drive to work with. For most users...they won't notice the difference. In 2016 there is only a difference if you compare these 2.5" SSDs to Samsung's fast M.2 drive. Otherwise, all SSDs are pretty much the same. And no one waits 5 years before upgrading.

Get the 850 EVO 500gb.
I'd rather have the larger drive to work with. For most users...they won't notice the difference. In 2016 there is only a difference if you compare these 2.5" SSDs to Samsung's fast M.2 drive. Otherwise, all SSDs are pretty much the same. And no one waits 5 years before upgrading.

Get the 850 EVO 500gb.

Solution

nerwin

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

But to use m.2, id have to get a new mobo but probably isnt worth it.

So looks like the 850 Evo is the best way to go and according to userbenchmark, its still 15 percent faster than my 840 pro.

USAFRet

Titan

I'm about to do the same...replace a 250GB 840 EVO with a new...something.
Currently deciding between the 750 EVO and the 850 EVO, 500GB.

The 750 is $10 cheaper and 2 yrs less warranty. (3 vs 5).
Leaning towards the 850 EVO 500GB.

Once the new Kaby Lake CPUs launch I'm getting one. And that means a new SSD. So far, the 850 EVO still is king for the price/quality. Gonna be a 500gb one, and not the Samsung 750 as performance is below the 850.

M.2 is interesting but the price of a 250gb version is same as 500gb 2.5" one.

nerwin

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Do you think the 500gb 850 EVO will still be a good performer in a couple years? I'm just debating if I should get this drive now.

To quote that link:
The 850 EVO performs more like a premium SSD under heavy loads, while the new 750 EVO handles like a mainstream SSD during heavy workloads.

Meaning...850 EVO is better in all situations and has longer warranty for little little cash more.

I have seen no upgrade in technology to think 2.5" SSDs are on the out. Intel has Optane but for consumers that won't be for years to come.

I was hesitant about an almost 2yr old SSD, but there is nothing that beats it.

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
That is why I am leaning to the 850 vs the 750.
However... the key words in there are "heavy loads".

From that same review:
"It is very clear that Samsung tried to give the SSD 750 EVO the same performance as the 850 EVO, and it appears to have worked. The two drives offer nearly identical performance with real-world software running in a light-use environment. A user would be hard pressed to tell one EVO from the other during a normal workload."

This depends on the definition of 'heavy' and 'normal'.

But we are quibbling over tiny differences.
Proven performer (850), vs the new guy (750).
5 yr warranty vs 3 yr warranty.
$10 price difference.

nerwin

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

But something to gain with the 850 Evo over my 840 Pro I'm assuming.

You are gaining space. You'll have to reinstall OS but having a 500gb SSD will last a long time.

nerwin

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

I thought I can migrate using the Samsung software without reinstalling the OS?

The 750 EVO is priced the same as the 850 EVO (the 500GB one) so no purpose to that. I have a 850 Pro in my one rig, and yesterday I just got an 850 EVO 500GB for my other. Is there a tiny difference? Yes. When opening Chrome, or Edge, or other programs, the 850 Pro is maybe 0.2 seconds faster. Otherwise, though, I feel like the EVO is the better bet since you get more storage for your money without having much performance loss.

USAFRet

Titan

Assuming your current install is working to your satisfaction, you should be able to migrate the whole thing to the new drive.
Be prepared for the small possibility of things going sideways.

nerwin

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Well things always go sideways for me, but who knows! Maybe ill get lucky. Its a fairly recent install of Windows 10. I really dont want to reinstall since this was the free upgrade.

nerwin

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

I dont know if ill be able to install windows 10 again.

USAFRet

Titan

Why not?
How was it installed/Upgraded the first time?

nerwin

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

I did the free upgrade from win 7.

USAFRet

Titan

Then, within the same system, you can do a full clean Win 10 OS install if you wish. A new drive is no problem.
Your system is already registered at home base.
Install. When/if it asks for the license key, click on "I don't have one"
Later, it will connect to the activation servers and activate it.

nerwin

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Yeah, I have done a clean install already and it activated fine but wasent sure if a drive change would screw it up. If i have to end up replace my components, it will suck. I might have to get a little creative lol.

USAFRet

Titan

A drive change will not affect a reinstall of the OS