Samsung 850 PRO 512GB bricked?

mpass846

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
Hi there.

I wiped my 850 PRO SSD with the Samsung Magician tool secure erase feature.

However now the SSD is Unallocated and Unknown in Disk Management. When trying to initialise it gives the error 'request could not be performed because of i/o error'

The SSD shows excellent health and performance in Hard Disk Sentinel, SSDLife and Good condition in Samsung Magician.

- I have tried using Diskpart to get it working again using a tutorial found on here. Still get the error.

- I have tried using bootable windows 10 USB to partition the SSD but it gives an error.

- I have tried the SSD in another computer and its detectable in Bios but not in windows.

Can anyone help me please

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
MIGHT work , never tried it.

Method 1. Fix I/O device error in command prompt

1. Press Windows Key + X to open the menu, and select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.
2. Click Yes when you are presented with a UAC window requesting permission to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
3. In the new Command Prompt window, type chkdsk E: /f /r /x. Here you should replace E with your drive letter.

This option will run chkdsk command prompt to check and repair disk errors on the external & internal hard drive/USB drive/SD card to fix I/O device error. And then you will no longer bother with "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" message.

Method 2. Fix I/O device error by changing the transfer mode for the drive in IDE Channel Properties

1. Press Windows+X to open the menu, and select Device Manager.
2. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. A subset will open, listing the different IDE ATA/ATAPI channels for the computer.
3. Right-click the channel where the appropriate drive is connected, and then click Properties. Typically, this channel is Secondary IDE Channel.
4. On the Advanced Settings tab, select PIO Only in the Transfer Mode box for the device that represents the appropriate drive. Typically, this is Device 0. Then, click OK and exit all windows.
5. Test the drive and check if "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" message has been removed.

easus.com

mpass846

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
The first method, I cant do because I have no drive letter because its unallocated

The second method no joy.

I updated my SATA drivers from ASUS and now the drive has vanished from windows. Its still on the bios though....

Turn off the PC, disconnect the Power and SATA from the drive.

Turn the pc back on and let it boot up fully.

Shut it back down and reconnect the drive, boot Windows and check and see if it shows up.

If that doesn't work call Samsung Tech Support.