samsung 850 pro, price drops expected

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Title says it all. Should I order a Samsung 850 pro 1tb now? As in preorder, or are there going to be significant price drops soon?

I already have 2x Samsung 840 evo 1tb drives in my laptop, the 850 pro would replace c:/ boot drive, and the 840 evo it replaced will just go into an external enclosure for removable storage.

On a side note, does anyone know if the 850 is going to make it to M sata?
I'd like to pick up 3x1tb msata 850 pros for my laptop, but I haven't heard anything about m.sata.

Solution
My typical daily write usage is well over 100gb.

My first 1tb evo drive was purchased around march, I've written over 3pb so far, and samsungs software displays 55% remaining life.

Your use case is far out on the edge. For you, yeah, maybe I'd change to the new Pro.
I wouldn't expect any significant price drops soon, though. Brand new item.

And for any SSD detractors reading this....read and comprehend this statement:
I've written over 3pb so far, and samsungs software displays 55% remaining life.

3+pb....impressive.

USAFRet

Titan
Highly doubtful you'd see enough of a performance change to justify going from an 840 EVO 1TB to an 850 Pro 1TB.

If changing from an HDD to SSD, sure...wait a few weeks and go for the 850. But from an existing 840 to an 850? Why....

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Write endourance. Not for speed. Speed is give or take 30-50mbps different tops! But write endourance is 3-5x better. If not more.

I use laptop for hd/4k video editing, photo editing, autocad/maya 3d, ect. My typical daily write usage is well over 100gb.

My first 1tb evo drive was purchased around march, I've written over 3pb so far, and samsungs software displays 55% remaining life. Which im fine with, but if this 850 pro gives me same speed, but gives me a better endourance, then its worth the $750 premium, especially since when I bought my evo 1tb I paid $575 on sale. Not the $400 current price.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
The endurance of the evo is also the main reason I took out my 3x msata daughter board on my msi laptop and replaced with a regular single 2.5". If msata drives would carry the endurance of this new 850 pro, then i'd pick up 3 and super raid or probably just use as 3 separate drives, giving me the actual storage I need without having to use external ssd's in usb enclosures.

USAFRet

Titan
My typical daily write usage is well over 100gb.

My first 1tb evo drive was purchased around march, I've written over 3pb so far, and samsungs software displays 55% remaining life.

Your use case is far out on the edge. For you, yeah, maybe I'd change to the new Pro.
I wouldn't expect any significant price drops soon, though. Brand new item.

And for any SSD detractors reading this....read and comprehend this statement:
I've written over 3pb so far, and samsungs software displays 55% remaining life.

3+pb....impressive.

Solution

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Thanks, I just wasn't sure as a lot of times the expected msrp is high and within like a month it drops a hundred or so. But considering the 850 pro is only a few hundred more than my 840 evo was when I bought it I feel a worthy purchase. Expensive yes, but in my case worth it.

And yes, ive got some impressive writes. Its around 3.8pb, almost to the 4 mark. As for the 55% remaining, that's what both Samsung magician software and what ssdlife software tells me. Whether or not its correct or not, no idea.