Question Samsung 850 Qvo slow

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
I have 4 SSD's in my system and one of those are a Samsung 860 QVO 1TB. It's only about a year old and when I went to launch one of the games that I have installed it seemed super slow. I checked all of my other drives, swapped the sata cables around and the drive is still performing poorly. I confirmed in the bios that something weird didn't happen where it swapped over to sata2 for some reason which it didn't, confirmed its still running on sata3. I ran crystaldiskmark and it only got about 320MB on the read test. I checked on Samsung's warranty page and I should still be in warranty as the drive is less than a year old, and only has 2500GB of total writes. At this point I'm pretty sure the drive is failing which sucks because its the first bad SSD that I have ever encountered or owned but I'm just curious to see if anyone has any ideas that I maybe didn't try before sending it in. I already grabbed all of the data off of it, and if samsung does send me a new one I'll probably end up just selling it and getting the pro version.

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
The drive had about 300GB remaining before I wiped it after doing a backup. The only other thing that I can think of is firmware tbh but seems kind of risky with an ssd that's possibly failing.

litaidd

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
Just wanted to give a final update just incase someone with a similar issues finds this thread. When Samsung took apart the drive they said the dram chip basically had a short and there was a burn hole through the chip where it happened. I think I got super lucky since the data was still accessible on my pc before sending it in. Getting a new drive sent to me but just gonna sell it tbh. I requested a photo of inside of the faulty SSD, if they send the photo to me I'll be sure to post it here.