Question Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD + Samsung 870 EVO 500 GB SSD

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
The subject contains 2 SSD's.
Currently I have the 860 installed and I wanted to install the 870. Can I just swap them out?
I do know how to initialize the second drive so I would have the 860 out the 870 in and the 870 initialized.
Can this be done as an even swap or would there be a problem as I was told that would be.
I didn't know if it was electronics or conformature because the 860 in my computer looks like a small deck of cards but only about 1/4 of an inch thick with the sata cable and the power cable.
I haven't seen the 870 so I don't know if they can be swapped because the 870 might be a different shape then the 860 or some other reason for incompatibility.
TY

As far as I know, they are both ordinary 2.5 inch drives, so you should be able to swap them.

You can also transfer the contents of one to the other by imaging or cloning.....if that is your intent. Or you could do a clean install onto the 870.

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
I hate it when I get six of one and a half dozen of the other. :rolleyes: As I said the other sources said it could not be done. Once the 870 is installed I would either boot from Windows MCT or most likely from Macrium rescue disk and recover an image. I guess what I should do is traced down the 870 to see the size of it I can't think of any other reason for incompatibility.
Thank you

I hate it when I get six of one and a half dozen of the other. :rolleyes: As I said the other sources said it could not be done. Once the 870 is installed I would either boot from Windows MCT or most likely from Macrium rescue disk and recover an image. I guess what I should do is traced down the 870 to see the size of it I can't think of any other reason for incompatibility.
Thank you

Other sources said EXACTLY what can't be done? Exactly.

If you want to put Windows onto the 870, you can use Windows MCT to do a clean install, with the 860 totally removed.

Or you can use Macrium to make an image of the 860 and then restore that image to the 870. You would need a place to store the image temporarily....such as an external drive. The image file will be quite large.

Cloning with Macrium may also work....your drives have the same capacity of 500 GB. I don't use cloning personally and am not sure if cloning would succeed due to the identical capacities. My guess is that it would.

Macrium is probably 98 or 99 percent reliable. Try it. If it fails, you go to Plan B.....which would be a clean install using MCT.