[SOLVED] Samsung 860 EVO compability

Nov 11, 2020
Hi,

I was thinking about getting a Samsung 860 EVO SATA 2,5". On their homepage I saw that the cache memory of the SSD is using "Low Power DDR4 SDRAM".

Can I assume that it wouldn't be compatible with an old mainboard thats using DD3 RAM? (Mainboard: ASUS M51AC)

Solution
Thank you for the fast reply. I was using another Sata SSD on this mainboard before without any problems. It's just the DDR4 that threw me off here whether thats supported by the mainboard.

The DDR4 is on the drive itself. It is used by the controller, of the drive, and is not related to your mainboard's ram. Kinda like how Vram, on a graphics card is only used by the graphics card itself.
Nov 11, 2020
Thank you for the fast reply. I was using another Sata SSD on this mainboard before without any problems. It's just the DDR4 that threw me off here whether thats supported by the mainboard.

logainofhades

Titan

The DDR4 is on the drive itself. It is used by the controller, of the drive, and is not related to your mainboard's ram. Kinda like how Vram, on a graphics card is only used by the graphics card itself.

Solution